PDA

View Full Version : Shipping multiples

Archive
04-28-2005, 02:05 PM
Posted By: <b>Robert</b><p>I was just wondering what other peoples policies and thoughts on charging for shipping. I charge $2.50 which gets packaged nice and safe and an additional .75 for each other card won. I just had a person win 23 auctions and his shipping total would be $19.00. they where all commons from the 50's and did not sell for very much. Should I give him a break or not on the shipping?<br /><br />Secondly, I won 2 auctions from the same person and he charged $3.95 shipping for each card, when I received the cards he sent them together. Should I ask for some money back?

Archive
04-28-2005, 02:15 PM
Posted By: <b>Judge Dred</b><p>I would definitely reduce the shipping charge on the person that won multiple auctions, especially since he won so many. I realize that it takes time and material to package the items but in this case it's only one box (not multiple bubble mailers which cost $ each). That's 22 less headaches to deal with. I'd probably consider dropping it to at least half what the auction description mentions for multiple wins. <br /><br />On the other question - the person wasn't very nice about it. You could email the guy and ask why he charged you twice when he shipped the different items in the same package. Perhaps he didn't realize that he charged you for both (maybe not so likely but it's happened in the past). If he doesn't offer a refund I would just drop it and not provide any feedback for the purchases. Something to consider, it appears that this person has hit a nerve, now put yourself in the shoes of the person that just won 23 auctions from you. I bet they'd appreciate the break in shipping cost. One other thing, did you ask the person that shipped both cards to you whether or not they offered reduced shipping charges on multiple won lots?

Archive
04-28-2005, 02:21 PM
Posted By: <b>T206Collector</b><p>that I'm convinced generates a lot of interest in multiple auctions. Charge a flat fee for shipping no matter how many auctions are won. I always do that, and I think I get a lot of repeat buyers that way. Because if you're going to buy one of my cards, and the second one won't have any surcharge, you're apt to at least consider buying the second one.

Archive
04-28-2005, 06:29 PM
Posted By: <b>Tim Newcomb</b><p>When I sell I offer a flat fee for any number of lots. I'm trying to encourage people to bid on multiple auctions. The cost of an extra top-loader or two is minimal. <br /><br />For someone who won 20 of your auctions, I'd offer to ship them for your total cost, including postage and packing materials-- probably $5 or $6 at most. That's the reasonable thing to do-- Think of all the time you're saving not having to address 20 envelopes-- the guy has done you a favor-- return it!<br /><br />The ebay sellers I detest the most are the ones who are evasive about what they charge to ship multiple items. <br /><br />As far as the $3.50 x 2 guy, you at least should have the right to expect that both items be shipped separately in their own envelopes, etc. So you should ask for at least a partial refund-- or indicate you won't be bidding on any more of that guy's auctions. I'm sure the board would be interested in the seller's name, especially if he was being deceptive about how much he would charge-- <br /><br /><br />Tim

Archive
04-28-2005, 06:53 PM
Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>90% of the time the seller will give you a flat price for the multiple lot sale if you ask about it. For the few who refuse, you really have to decide whether it makes sense to refuse to pay the extortionate shipping charges and have the attendant bad blood and negative feedbacks. I once refused to pay a seller 50% of the sale price to ship one stinkin' card, we exchanged hostilities, and I told him where to stick it. Not pleasant and I don't think I'd fall into that trap today. One thing to remember is that ebay's loophole of not charging a final sale fee on shipping and handling makes it attractive for sellers to overcharge for shipping to encourage low bids on low priced items. You really have to assess whether a card is worth $x + $6.00 then bid accordingly. <br /><br />While we're at it, am I the only one bothered that there is there such a disparity between the auction houses on shipping? In two auctions that closed at roughly the same time, I paid $20 in one auction for insured shipping and handling of $250 worth of cards yet in another auction was charged only $12 for insured shipping and handling of nearly $900 worth of cards. There is simply no way that there should be such a disparity unless a profit is involved.

Archive
04-28-2005, 11:06 PM
Posted By: <b>Judge Dred</b><p>I wonder if the difference in shipping charges has anything to do with one of the auction houses being self insured while the other is not.

Archive
04-29-2005, 09:08 AM
Posted By: <b>Darren J Duet MD</b><p>I'm strictly a collector and often make multiple purchases with the same seller. I am more apt to return to a particular seller if his shipping fees are reasonable. Giving breaks to multiple purchase buyers will definitely pay off in the long run.