PDA

View Full Version : Boston Store/Collins-McCarthy: my observation

Archive
04-28-2005, 11:37 AM
Posted By: <b>Todd Schultz</b><p>I've only been dabbling in the 1917 Boston Store/Collins-McCarthy/Standard Biscuit issues for about 4 years, but I've noticed one thing that collides with the price guides. The Boston Store cards are noticeably more available than Collins McCarthy, both overall and in high grade. The SCD book has attached a premium to Boston Store cards as being scarcer, and it just isn't so. Looking at the pop reports, PSA has graded about 4 1/2 times as many BStores than Collins McCarthy, and SGC has graded about twice as many. I routinely search for these on e-bay (and less routinely can afford them), and it ain't even close as to which is more often found. Maybe there are tons of Collins-McCarthy's out there being hoarded and ungraded, and someone can set me straight. Thoughts?

Archive
04-28-2005, 12:10 PM
Posted By: <b>Bruce MacPherson</b><p>I completely agree with your assessment. Among other things, I collect Pre WW1 cards of Washington players. I have the majority of the players with the Boston Store back, however, I have only been able to acquire 1 Collins McCarthy card (a Milan in G/VG condition that I bought from Mark Macrae a few years back). I know Larry Frisch has a bunch in his catalog, but frankly I am leery of purchasing any of those without a scan.

Archive
04-28-2005, 01:32 PM
Posted By: <b>Matt Goebel</b><p>I'm not a back collector, so I'm not up to speed on all the price differences, but I do know that the Joe Jackson "books" for more as a Collins McCarthy than a Boston Store.

Archive
04-28-2005, 01:55 PM
Posted By: <b>Darren J. Duet</b><p>Todd,<br />you are right on with your observations. Collins Mcarthy issues are much less available than the Boston Store variety--I'm not sure if there were less produced or just hoarded????--any thoughts from other board members.