PDA

View Full Version : Jewish baseball card listing

Archive
04-27-2005, 01:13 PM
Posted By: <b>Jewish Sports Collector</b><p>I'm a long time archivist/collector/researcher of cards, photos, autographs, memorobilia, etc,... of Jewish athletes in ALL sports. But, the Fleer Jewish set got me interested in baseball, so I'm a brand NEW collector of cards & memorabilia of Jewish BB players. Does anyone have a LISTING (or know of someone who does) of ANY & ALL Jewish baseball cards & memorabilia.<br /><br />Also, do you all know of anyone that might be able to sell really bad condition & off-grade common cards of these Jewish players. I'm a poor Jewish collector !!!<br /><br />Any help would be greatly appreciated.<br /><br />Thanks so much<br />Alan<br />Jewish sports collector<br /><br />Jewishathletes@yahoo.com

Archive
04-27-2005, 01:57 PM
Posted By: <b>ted</b><p>incase you haven't seen it:<br /><a href="http://www.jewishmajorleaguers.org/index.html" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://www.jewishmajorleaguers.org/index.html</a><br /><br />good resource:<br /><a href="http://www.amuseum.org/jahf/index.html" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://www.amuseum.org/jahf/index.html</a><br />contact them i think they have a bunch of stuff on it...<br /><br />i've seen a list somewhere, if i dig it up i will post a link to it here...or load it on one of my websites so you can grab it....<br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br />

Archive
04-27-2005, 02:11 PM
Posted By: <b>Robert</b><p>I went to check out you jewish league site and I noticed that they are missing Rod Carew. I am pretty sure that he converted to Judism when he got married.

Archive
04-27-2005, 02:29 PM
Posted By: <b>Rich Klein</b><p>Who basically created that Jewish Major Leaguer set, Carew never converted.<br /><br />Rich

Archive
04-27-2005, 03:19 PM
Posted By: <b>Mark</b><p>"O.J. Simpson, not a Jew<br />But guess who is? Hall of famer Rod Carew- he converted<br />We got Ann Landers and her sister Dear Abby<br />Harrison Ford's a quarter Jewish- not too shabby"<br /><br />From "The Chanuka Song" by A. Chandler<br />

Archive
04-27-2005, 03:48 PM
Posted By: <b>ted</b><p>carew married a panamanian jew ... they had a daughter, who has since passed away, and she was raised as a jew. i don't believe carew actually converted....

Archive
04-27-2005, 04:31 PM
Posted By: <b>Julie</b><p>greasy stuff in his hair, and a suit that's too small for him. Taken by the 'White Sox," whever they were, in late 20s. Also have a Batter Up Moe that I forgot to sell--but it's not cheap, as you will see in price =uide. ALso have all his Conlon photos on cards (commemorative 1991-95) and a few other commemorative things.<br /><br />For someone who sold her Moe Berg collection, I sure do have a lot of Moe.<br /><br />Did they ever decide whether Behel (first Jewish major leaguer--for a while---on Old Judge card--VERY expensive) was Jewish or not?<br />

Archive
04-27-2005, 05:28 PM
Posted By: <b>Rich Klein</b><p>Julie:<br /><br />Abramowitz told me no he was not in an email. Other friends did tell me yes.<br /><br />So I think there is still legit debate on this.<br /><br />Rich

Archive
04-27-2005, 06:21 PM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>An interesting Jewish player came into the news today. When A-Rod became the 12th player last night to record 10 RBI's in a game, the N.Y. Times listed all twelve and one was Phil Weintraub, who drove in 11 runs in a game in 1944. I must confess I never heard of him and was shocked that a journeyman player had such an extraordinary game.

Archive
04-27-2005, 09:23 PM
Posted By: <b>Brian H (misunderestimated)</b><p>Then again it was 1944 when most of the "real major leaguers" were away in the service.... Kind of like having a great game in the Federal League..<br />

Archive
04-27-2005, 09:48 PM
Posted By: <b>Dan Bretta</b><p>I just recently picked up a lot of photos taken at Sarasota, FL in 1936 at the Red Sox spring training park. It contained a photo of Moe Berg and one of Al Schacht. Both of whom had fascinating lives beyond their playing days. Berg as a spy and Schacht as baseball's clown prince. <br /><br />The best photo in the lot IMO was a photo of Jimmie Foxx holding a small dog on his lap. The photo could be one of the first photos of Foxx in a Red Sox uniform as he joined Boston in 1936.

Archive
04-28-2005, 05:34 AM
Posted By: <b>Jewish Sports collector</b><p>Great discussions, but does anyone have a LIST of WHAT cards exist for Jewish major leaguers like in this format.<br /><br />"Year" "Manufacturer" "Name of player" "Card #"<br /><br /><br />Thanks.

Archive
04-28-2005, 06:26 AM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>Somebody did compile a booklet of all known Jewish ballplayers, but some are contested, such as Stephen Behel, Billy Nash, etc. I don't recall the title but I vaguely remember having this conversation with Jay Miller. Jay, if you're reading this, do you remember the book?<br /> On another point, Phil Weintraub may have done it during a war year, and he had been up and down his whole career, but still - 11 RBI's in a game- try doing it in AAA, and it can only be tougher even in a diluted major leagues. Then again, he would never have gotten such a shot in 1946. Apparently, on his big day the Giants won the first game of a doubleheader 26-8. Does anyone have access to that boxscore? I think that's the game Ott scored six runs.

Archive
04-28-2005, 01:03 PM
Posted By: <b>Richard S Porricelli</b><p>For years I thought Johnny Kling one of the great Jewish ball players..However recently I read a story, written by Lee Allen, in which he refers to an interview with Klings wife of many years. She said she was Jewish but John was German Lutheren..