PDA

View Full Version : Worst Deal From Mastronet Auction

Archive
04-17-2005, 03:15 PM
Posted By: <b>DeanoCards</b><p>What item or set was the most overpriced from the Mastronet Auction......trying to compile a TOP TEN !!!!

Archive
04-17-2005, 03:30 PM
Posted By: <b>dennis</b><p>take your pick....just kidding

Archive
04-17-2005, 09:28 PM
Posted By: <b>Mike</b><p>My pick for #1 overpriced:<br /><br />1948 Leaf Short Print #8 Satchell Paige - Lot 1169<br />At $60,000 total, a solid 50% over SMR --- and it doesn't even look that nice since it's clearly OC <br /><br />Lot 776 is my pick for most overpriced autograph --- $25,000? Seems ridiculous to me, given SMR is $5,000<br /><br /><br /><br />

Archive
04-17-2005, 10:03 PM
Posted By: <b>Greg Ecklund</b><p>I'd say the Jimmie Foxx signed ball that went for $18,522 was more overpriced than the Alexander, even though it is in great condition. Foxx balls are way more common than Alexander, and the Alexander ball is even signed with his full name "Grover Cleveland Alexander" rather than the more common "GC Alexander".<br /><br />I don't know the going rate for the Cy Young Awards, but $17,690 for LaMarr Hoyt's Cy Young award is shocking to me. In my mind, there has always been something tacky or ghoulish about a bunch of rich guys going at it over an award (be it a Cy Young or World Series Ring) won by someone else. I understand that it is Hoyt's decision to sell it, but it just doesn't seem right.

Archive
04-18-2005, 01:25 AM
Posted By: <b>DeanoCards</b><p>I don't understand why anyone would have a problem with one of us rich guys buying some...drug induced.....washed up.....loser's Cy Young....Heck , I might give him a couple grand for his wife....if she's HOT !!!!

Archive
04-18-2005, 05:58 AM
Posted By: <b>Jim Clarke</b><p>I saw a Paige PSA 8 Paige 48 Leaf card sell in the Superior auction at Nationals a few years ago for 33K and the buyer was elated! Not sure if they are the same card though.

Archive
04-18-2005, 02:30 PM
Posted By: <b>Adam J. Moraine</b><p>LOL, Deano. I was LMFAO @ that comment!<br /><br />Best regards,<br /><br />Adam J. Moraine

Archive
04-18-2005, 08:04 PM
Posted By: <b>Marc S.</b><p>PSA 9 sells for something like 4x SMR - when they are not that hard to find in top grade.... [and generally sell in the SMR range]? Unless it gets bumped - it seems bizarre to pay such a premium, even if the example was very well-centered...