PDA

View Full Version : Mayo question

Archive
04-16-2005, 01:45 PM
Posted By: <b>Todd Schultz</b><p>This caught my eye, although I don't collect the set:<br /><br /><a href="http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/site/bid/bidplace.asp?itemid=3408" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/site/bid/bidplace.asp?itemid=3408</a><br /><br />John Clarkson never pitched for St. Louis--this appears to be his brother "Dad" Clarkson. My 2002 SCD book lists John but no other Clarkson. Is the set supposed to include two Clarksons, or just this Arthur "Dad" Clarkson?

Archive
04-16-2005, 02:06 PM
Posted By: <b>dennis</b><p>john last played in 1894 so i would assume it's art. and i must add my usual...if i sent that card in i would get a "good" or vg if i were lucky. must be mistake on sgc label

Archive
04-16-2005, 02:21 PM
Posted By: <b>john/z28jd</b><p>I agree thats one of the worst look sgc60s ive ever seen,i dont care how hard the set is in high grade because of the borders,this is just a huge overgrade.<br /><br />It could be that since his brother was on the team Clarkson signed to play for st louis but never actually made the team and decided to retire.His last year was 1894 and he had trouble with the longer distance from home plate to the pitching mound changed that year.

Archive
04-16-2005, 03:25 PM
Posted By: <b>Todd Schultz</b><p>except that he looks a little younger than what I would expect for a then nearly 34 year-old. Arthur was 5 years younger, and although I have never seen a photo of him, I have to believe this is him. John only pitched about 1/2 of the 1894 season (the mound was actually moved back in 1893), and as I understand it had little if anything left because he never had much of a fastball to begin with and relied on finesse, so the longer throw was pretty much batting practice. Seems unlikely he was making a comeback with St. Louis, but I of course could be wrong.<br /><br />Does anyone own the 1895 Mayo Clarkson or have a scan? I'm curious if this is the only Clarkson or whether there are two in the set.

Archive
04-16-2005, 03:51 PM
Posted By: <b>dennis</b><p>this is the only clarkson in the set.

Archive
04-17-2005, 06:51 PM
Posted By: <b>Julie</b><p>brother's team; his name and face.

Archive
04-18-2005, 10:29 AM
Posted By: <b>Todd Schultz</b><p>why is John wearing a uniform for a team he never played, or are you saying "St. Louis" was painted on?

Archive
04-18-2005, 10:54 AM
Posted By: <b>john/z28jd</b><p>I dont know what Julie was talking about but it could just be because he signed with the team but never made the team.I have a Bob Allen Pittsburgh Old Judge but he never played for Pittsburgh.Theres also a Jimmy Ryan card listing him with Philadelphia but he never played for them.Since Clarkson was basically done as a pitcher the year before maybe his brother got him a tryout with St Louis and between the time he signed with them and the time the first game was played they made the card assuming he would make the team.They couldnt show him with Cleveland whom he played for in 1894 because he didnt pitching a game after July 12th that year.

Archive
04-18-2005, 12:09 PM
Posted By: <b>Todd Schultz</b><p>If you're comfortable that the photo is really John Clarkson, then I guess it's no big deal. Where I'd be pissed is if I was paying for a HOFer at a HOFer price and got someone else, in this case his brother-ala the 1928 ice cream issues that depict Zeb Terry and call him Bill (not even brothers or lookalikes). <br /><br />I admit that if that photo isn't John, it's an uncanny family resemblance, but keep in mind that 1) the card says merely "Clarkson", 2) John has not been confirmed to have been involved with the St. Louis origanization, 3) the card shows a player in a St. Louis uniform, and 4) John's brother in fact pitched for St. Louis at the time the card was issued. I also think he looks younger than the 34 or so years he would have been even if he donned a St. Louis uniform in 1895, although I am the furthest thing from an expert on telling how old people are from a photo.<br /><br />I'm not bidding, so it ain't my fight. Good luck to those who do.<br /><br /><br /><br />