PDA

View Full Version : Interesting web site for baseball film research

Archive
04-13-2005, 11:29 PM
Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>I found this site while trying to pin down some dates for some Exhibit cards. it is imdb.com. The site has a ton of info on movies, searchable. If, for example, you are trying to pin down the issue date on the R94 Babe Ruth "Babe Comes Home" card, you can type in the athlete's name and up comes every movie he was in. If you cross-correlate this with other cards in the set, you can develop a pretty good idea of when a set was issued. <br /><br />For Ruth, I found the following filmography:<br /><br />The Pride of the Yankees (1942) .... Babe Ruth<br />Home Run on the Keys (1936) .... Babe Ruth<br />Fancy Curves (1932) .... Babe Ruth<br />Just Pals (1932) .... Babe Ruth<br />Over the Fence (1932) .... Babe Ruth<br />Perfect Control (1932) .... Babe Ruth<br />Slide, Babe, Slide (1932) .... Babe Ruth<br />Speedy (1928) .... Babe Ruth<br />Babe Comes Home (1927) .... Babe Dugan<br />Heading Home (1920) (as George Herman 'Babe' Ruth) <br /><br />I had no idea Ruth was in so many films. I only knew of the first two and the last ome. The fact that he did so many in 1932 lends some credence to the 1933 date attributed to the R94 set because Ruth would have been very much on Hollywood's radar in 1932-33 era as a result and thus likely to be included in a movie set. I will cross-correlate with the other known cards from the set and see if I can refine the dating.

Archive
04-14-2005, 12:25 AM
Posted By: <b>Glenn</b><p>Some of you may recall a scene in Dumb and Dumber wherein Jim Carrey drives Lauren Holly to the airport. It's basically identical to a scene in Speedy with Harold Lloyd driving Babe Ruth to Yankee Stadium.<br /><br />I think most people here may already be familiar with the imdb, but I'd certainly recommend it to anyone who isn't. You can read my review of Off The Mark while you're there.