PDA

View Full Version : Selling with low feedback

Archive
04-11-2005, 01:02 PM
Posted By: <b>Julie</b><p>A friend of mine told me he bought 100 items before he tried selling anything on ebay. I know low feedback does scare some buyers off (including me). Suggestions?

Archive
04-11-2005, 01:07 PM
Posted By: <b>Rob</b><p>Just do it. You gotta start sometime and there's no better time than now. Start with lesser items to build up a seller feedback base.

Archive
04-11-2005, 01:31 PM
Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>First, Julie, how low is low feedback ... You don't need a 1,000 to sell. If someone has a 50 or 80 feeback with 100 perccent, that's fine.<br /><br />If you are selling Pre-War cards, you are a well known person in the hobby. Bill Mastro likely knows your name. For those potential bidders who don't know you, there is nothing wrong with you giving your name, and stating that you have have had articles published in VCBC or whereever. Whether selling early baseball memorabilia or bronze statues, that the seller is a published author in a respected hobby magazine is highly condusive to gaining the trust of bidders.<br /><br />Collectors don't say, "He may be a retired museum curator and author of Sotheby's Standard Guide to 18th century Sculpture, but his feedback is only 20." Collectors say, "He's a retired museum curator and author of Sotheby's Standard Guide to 18th Century Sculputre, so I'm bidding."<br /><br />Have a good and clear authenticity guarantee and return policy.

Archive
04-11-2005, 02:38 PM
Posted By: <b>Josh K.</b><p>Ive never had a problem with low feedback with respect to the number of transactions if the seller was still 100% positive. Though I did usually look to make sure that he/she had a few high dollar transactions in the past just for piece of mind. Im probably more at ease with a seller with 100 transactions and 100% positive feedback than I would be with a seller who has 5000 transactins with 45 negs (99.1% positive).<br /><br />I have 146 and perfect feedback (roughly 75 percent as buyer, 25% as seller) - Ive never felt it to be a problem when selling cards (now or when I had fewer positives).

Archive
04-11-2005, 03:09 PM
Posted By: <b>Dave</b><p>One other approach is to have your cards slabbed as a buyer protection. Julie, I know you would never go that far, but it is a possibility.<br />

Archive
04-11-2005, 04:08 PM
Posted By: <b>Bob Marquette</b><p>Julie- some of the best purchases I have ever made on ebay were from people with less than 5 feedbacks. I am a rather trusting soul but everyone who wants to sell on ebay has to start somewhere.<br />tbob

Archive
04-11-2005, 04:33 PM
Posted By: <b>vetekbob</b><p>Julie, <br />Even though we havent met being that I am new to the board, I just wanted to say that I have read a lot of posting since I registered and I appreciate the knowledge and wit and spirit in which you have helped so many others here.<br /> In regards to being new to selling in general, I was nervous as a buyer of over $100 dollar items and not knowing who I was dealing with. I did use the feedback rating as a main guide as to whether to buy from someone or not but I also contacted them via email and or voice to ease my peace of mind because I do like to know who I am dealing with. There were other resources available to me back then I am sure but I was unaware of them. I believe that character and integrity of which you have speaks volumes over Ebays rating. You have proven yourself as an honest buyer and I dont think it would deter buyers from any auctions you may wish to list just because you may not have a history of such. If it would ease your mind, you could always post a brief resume as to your personal and professional dealing with the fine people here as well as auction houses but I really dont see a need to do such. Looking at your feedback as it stands now, Ebay'ers can readily see that you are serious about collecting and that you are an informed person and any selling you may do would only lend to that. You will do just fine Julie.<br />Robert<br /><br />

Archive
04-11-2005, 05:17 PM
Posted By: <b>Gilbert Maines</b><p>There are persons here Julie, who would love to help you sell some items. And I betcha they would do it for far less than their standard consignment fee.<br /><br />When you consider all of the factors, consigning to a dealer/friend is not a bad option. I am not a dealer.

Archive
04-11-2005, 09:29 PM
Posted By: <b>joe</b><p>Julie, most people start with zero feedback, I did and am up to 1156. 99% sports and the rest records and other stuff. I'd love to see some of your stuff up for sale on EBAY.<br /><br />Joe

Archive
04-11-2005, 10:09 PM
Posted By: <b>Julie</b><p>without going NEAR ebay, I'm more likely to try board members first.

Archive
04-12-2005, 02:10 PM
Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>...

Archive
04-12-2005, 02:45 PM
Posted By: <b>Julie</b><p>During the week when that little old cabinet was sitting at 63.00, I checked out all five other bidders. Fortunately, JC had put in an early bid, so I sniped high.<br /><br />I never did figure out why JC had bid so early--he usually just snipes, like I do. I was HOPING it meant it was just a passing fancy, but I didn't count on it.<br /><br />Selling stuff on ebay, I check out ALL the bidders' feedback, trying to figure ouyt who's likely to give me a decent price...

Archive
04-12-2005, 03:57 PM
Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>.