PDA

View Full Version : What if someone hosted an educational seminar on prewar cards.

Archive
04-10-2005, 08:57 AM
Posted By: <b>jackgoodman</b><p>What topics (or sessions) would you like to see covered?

Archive
04-10-2005, 12:55 PM
Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>I've long wanted to do an in person short course on authentication and forgery detection, but have never figured out the logistics as the collectors live all over the place.<br /><br />Further, I would suggest having an expert on grading talk about practical grading issues-- trimming, grades, etc. <br /><br />As everyone here has a computer and we all can stick things onto a web site and look at, an in person seminar would have to be stuff that is best covered in person rather than in an online image, like looking at trimming or which is the on button for the blacklight.

Archive
04-10-2005, 01:26 PM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>The National convention would be the logical place to do something like this. I believe SCDA will making a presentation at the National for anyone that is intereswed in how they authenticate items. Sessions by grading companies and how they do their grading would be good, as would David's suggestion of how to detect fakes.<br /><br />Jay<br><br>I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Archive
04-10-2005, 01:27 PM
Posted By: <b>JimB</b><p>How about figuring out a side room to do such a seminar at the National? I am sure that would be well attended.<br />JimB

Archive
04-10-2005, 01:46 PM
Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>From my personal experience, the beauty of an illustrated online presentation (like a website), is that folks you'll never meet from places you will never visit can read and learn and ask questions. The essential problem is that that, especially when involving a microscope or something on that order, I can never look at the same thing they are looking at and can never be really sure what they're really looking at. That person in Chicago is looking through a microscope, while I'm looking at the text of his email. In person together, things would probably be cleared up in like ten minutes as we would be looking at the same thing with the exact same microscope. <br /><br />I remember in 7th grade science class, the teacher pointed out that I might be able to view the glass slide better if I remeoved the lense cap. I probably would never have received this sage advice if the class was done through the mail.

Archive
04-10-2005, 01:57 PM
Posted By: <b>jackgoodman</b><p>was that several (read a lifetime) years ago I thought a seminar would be an interesting and useful venture. I also thought that combining it to be held either the day before the National or the day after, at the National's location would also be the best method of ensuring a reasonably good attendance.<br /><br />Attendance is key since these are not cheap to put on and the presenters will need/want to receive some honorarium for taking part and sharing their knowledge.<br /><br />After all these years, I'm thinking about it again and that is why I am requesting your input.<br /><br />Please don't stop now.<br /><br />

Archive
04-12-2005, 05:31 AM
Posted By: <b>Harry</b><p>I would certainly be interested in attending something like this. I'm not sure if it makes sense to have it at the same time as a large event like the National or if it should be an event in and of itself. Detecting alterations and determining authenticity is a huge area and if something like this is done, it would be great to be an "A - Z" conference that could span a few days and really give you something to bring back with you. If it was something like that, I could justify the expense of traveling and conference fee (and would be very excited to attend).<br /><br />Harry Cargile

Archive
04-12-2005, 08:25 AM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>In theory it should get its own conference. The sad reality is that no one would show up, thus the need to tie to a major event like the National. At least then you will get people that are tired of walking around the floor and looking to take a break for awhile.<br /><br />Jay<br><br>I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Archive
04-12-2005, 09:33 AM
Posted By: <b>Julie</b><p>somethiung like that: Mark would bring 4 or 5 cards and ask us all to comment on them, sometimes from a particular perspective, sometimes--he'd just hand them out and say, "Well?"<br /><br />Such a class, seminar, or whatever, would induce me to go to the National, which I'd just about decided to skip.

Archive
04-12-2005, 10:03 AM
Posted By: <b>Bill Stone</b><p>I would really like to attend a seminar dealing with the issue of trimming and prewar cards. Just looking at the description of the Joe Jackson T210 card in the Robert Edward Auction reveals such phrases as " inferior cutting process" , slopping cuts that are unrelated to trimming", subtle inferior cut", "wear entirely inconsisitent with modern trimming" etc . I agree combining a seminar with the National makes sense.

Archive
04-12-2005, 02:49 PM
Posted By: <b>Rich Klein</b><p>The National included all sorts of seminars as part of the events of the show.<br /><br />The last time I remember seminars scheduled was in 1991 (there might have been some in 92 and 93 -- I frankly don't recall). I attended those seminars in 1991 and thus was already in the building on the 1st infamous night of the 1991 National for the trade show part where the riot police were called and I was literally afraid for my life inside the show that night.<br /><br />While I would love to see seminars return to the National, frankly the show may have grown beyond that point for now and you might want to consider working with promoters at the mid tier shows to do seminars.<br /><br />Great idea and one I wish were done more often.<br /><br />Rich