PDA

View Full Version : Looks VS Grade

Archive
04-04-2005, 03:03 PM
Posted By: <b>Nick</b><p>When you purchase Graded T Cards do you overlook how the card Appears, and just go by the grade. Or do you take into consideration both, Looks + Grade???

Archive
04-04-2005, 03:10 PM
Posted By: <b>Rob</b><p>Definitely both. You would want to make sure the item has not been misgraded. Anything that has to be done manually (humanwise) is prone to mistakes.

Archive
04-04-2005, 03:20 PM
Posted By: <b>Greg Ecklund</b><p>Both, but looks are far more important for me because if I buy a slabbed card, I break it out anyway. <br /><br />The numbers on the slab are a useful guide when buying cards online...I can't always see a minute crease or a small spot of paper loss from a scan, especially if a scan is small, but I will look harder if a card seems misgraded.

Archive
04-05-2005, 12:32 PM
Posted By: <b>Gilbert Maines</b><p>There is no competition here. My choice is 100% looks. I will let my heirs consider grade. I buy 'em for keeps. The opinions and criteria of others I find fascinating. But I remember the difficulty I had in caring about centering and other aspects which are viewed as defects by some and characteristics by others.

Archive
04-05-2005, 01:04 PM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>I buy on looks.....but am careful of the technical grade as that is where a lot of the value (price) is....and no matter what we say cost/value is a factor......later

Archive
04-05-2005, 02:19 PM
Posted By: <b>Darren J Duet</b><p>Presentation is always key. Looks over grade.

Archive
04-05-2005, 06:16 PM
Posted By: <b>Dave</b><p>I bought a T206 Matty dark cap SGC40 over a PSA4 on the same day. The two cards were within 1% of each other in price. I just liked the card better.<br /><br />I will avoid bidding on cards with misregistration that I find distracting. It can be a higher grade, but it is lower in my book. I'd rather have some soft corners on a well centered card than crisp, square corners on a card with too thin a margin. Too often (for me) I find the opposite gets the better grade.<br /><br />

Archive
04-06-2005, 12:44 PM
Posted By: <b>Brian C Daniels</b><p>eye appeal is everything. then the value in relationship to the "plastic" number. regardless of the slab grade,never buy cards that don't grab your attention.

Archive
04-09-2005, 09:20 AM
Posted By: <b>pete</b><p>Im fairly new here (less than a year) why do/would someone break out a "slabbed" card????? <br /><br />as for looks vs. grade...I split it about 70/30...I have to like the way it looks.<br />pete-<br /><br />

Archive
04-09-2005, 11:25 AM
Posted By: <b>Scott Forrest</b><p>Why would you slab it to begin with?<br /><br />The card is the same card whether or not it's in plastic; however, many cards get "prettied up" before jumping into their tombs.<br /><br />If things keep going the way they are, there may be a day when collectors break cards OUT of their holders to add legitimacy to the grade given.

Archive
04-09-2005, 12:59 PM
Posted By: <b>DJ</b><p>Pete makes a good point. You have to protect the cards somehow and the holders do a great job of that.<br /><br />Why would anyone crack open a slabbed card only to put it into another card protector that is similar to the holder that was cracked? Unless you put them in sheets or uploaders.<br /><br />DJ

Archive
04-09-2005, 02:39 PM
Posted By: <b>Nick</b><p>The ONLY Reason I would crack a card out of a SLab is if I did not like the grade and I wanted to resubmit to another grader or to the same grader. Oh tisk tisk how many stories are out there about that. Getting a higher grade on a card that was graded lower or vise versa. Oh the Human Monkey Graders!!!

Archive
04-09-2005, 05:28 PM
Posted By: <b>dan mckee</b><p>I have a huge box of cracked slabs. My collection is in sheets in binders. Plus I don't need someone who has been in the hobby about 15 inutes telling me what grade my card is.

Archive
04-09-2005, 05:53 PM
Posted By: <b>Chuck R</b><p>I've cracked every slabbed card I've gotten (only about 20 or so). There aren't nearly as many fakes in the 30's nonsports I now collect, but I would crack the slabs anyway. This may be heresy here, but I actually like to hold the cards and I like to keep them in sheets so it's easy to see a good chunk of a set at the same time. I've been collecting baseball and nonsports cards since 1966, and like Dan I don't need much help telling a fake from a reprint or an untrimmed card from one that's trimmed.