PDA

View Full Version : N172 PSA grading

Archive
03-20-2005, 09:35 AM
Posted By: <b>Judge Dred</b><p>Most people know this but beware if you are looking to bid on the following item:<br /><br /><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31718&item=5177151929&rd=1" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31718&item=5177151929&rd=1</a><br /><br />I think PSA blew it (again). They have given it a grade of "2" with a MK qualifier. The MK (mark) qualifier is for the markings on the back of the card. If you look closely at the front the team name appears to be scrawled out of the picture. I would figure that this qualifies as being defaced and shouldn't get a grade higher than a "1". I can only wish that PSA is as generous when they grade my material when sent to them (which isn't too often).<br /><br />I'm tempted to bid on it just to own another PSA screw up. I don't know why but I like collecting their huge errors in judgement.

Archive
03-20-2005, 10:33 AM
Posted By: <b>Kevin Cummings</b><p>Fred:<br /><br />Do you think they would have graded it a VG 3 if not for the writing on the back?<br /><br />Kevin

Archive
03-20-2005, 10:42 AM
Posted By: <b>JimB</b><p>This is consistent with overgrading on N172s by all three grading companies.<br />JimB

Archive
03-20-2005, 10:46 AM
Posted By: <b>anonymousdave</b><p>...to read (re-read) the various written standards the grading companies have...regardless of how often they are ignored by the graders.<br /><br />In this case (from the PSA web-site):<br /><br />A PSA Good 2 card's corners show accelerated rounding and surface wear is starting to become obvious. A good card may have scratching, scuffing, light staining, or chipping of enamel on obverse. There may be several creases. Original gloss may be completely absent. Card may show considerable discoloration. Centering must be 90/10 or better on the front and back. <br />

Archive
03-20-2005, 04:33 PM
Posted By: <b>Glenn</b><p>Re. 'I would figure that this qualifies as being defaced and shouldn't get a grade higher than a "1".'<br /><br />I think 2(MK) is lower than a 1. Is that not true?

Archive
03-20-2005, 04:41 PM
Posted By: <b>Dan Bretta</b><p>Will any of the grading companies grade a skinned N-172?

Archive
03-20-2005, 04:42 PM
Posted By: <b>Judge Dred</b><p>I'm pretty sure the mark qualifier was for the writing on the back of the card. I've got a few cards similar to this. They all have the MK qualifier because of the back. What I don't get is that PSA (and SGC for that matter) will cremate an OJ with a little glue residue on the back. Also, I found that it depends on what day of the week it might be, what is the alignment of the moon and stars to "Ork", etc. I've got PSA graded cards with glue residue that have been graded 5 and 6. I had quite a few OJs sent to PSA at one time and none had a qualifier because of the glue residue (they got brutalized on the grade) but if the card had a pencil mark the MK qualifier was added. If it had a pencil mark on a back with glue residue then it really got smashed. <br /><br />The team (I'm assuming Denver) name appears to be scrawled off of the card in the auction listed and to me that is a major flaw (no qualifier). I wouldn't call it just a scratch. I see it as defaced. That's just my opinion though.

Archive
03-21-2005, 11:32 AM
Posted By: <b>Trevor Hocking</b><p>Dan, No grading companies will not grade skinned OJ's. Hay ya never know what they will grade next.<br /><br />Fred, I think the card is a 1 and day of the week. I have had many of these cards with the team scratch off. They come from the Will Hays find if I'm not mistaken. All the ones I had gradedby SGC came back 10=1's

Archive
03-21-2005, 11:37 AM
Posted By: <b>Dan Bretta</b><p>Trevor, thanks. I was gonna start a new thread, because I didn't think anyone saw my post.<br /><br />