PDA

View Full Version : Which New Forum Pages to Add.....(response requested)

Archive
03-18-2005, 01:37 PM
Posted By: <b>Brian McQueen</b><p>Based on Leon's "Board Direction" thread, it seems a lot of us want to pursue a segmented forum/prethreaded sort of a layout with an individual forum page for each major catagory all linked under one main "landing" page/index page. What I want to do now is gauge interest in each catagory that we've brought up to determine which topics (ie...Photography, Nonbaseball Items, etc....) people will actually contribute to if we were to assign forum pages for some of these other areas of interest. This way, we'll know which pages are worth building. For instance, if "photography" gets 40 responses, and "Cards from WW2 to present" gain 2, we'll have a pretty solid estimation of which pages to build, and which ones to leave out should we end up going with the pre-threaded layout.<br /><br />Please respond to this thread with the catagories that you would be interested in viewing/contributing to aside from Prewar/Vintage Cards. Sort of like voting I suppose. If all you're interested in is Prewar/Vintage Cards, no need to reply as we already know there is enough interest to warrent creating a seperate page just for that topic. Everything else within reason as of right now is fair game. Here's the catch: I'd like an accurate assessment of essentially "who's interested in what", so don't vote for a catagory if you can't see YOURSELF reading and/or posting to that page.<br /><br />Hope this makes sense.....

Archive
03-18-2005, 01:43 PM
Posted By: <b>Rob L</b><p>Here are a couple of ideas<br /><br />19th Century memorabilia<br />Pre WWII autographs<br />19th Century Photography<br /><br />Rob L

Archive
03-18-2005, 01:45 PM
Posted By: <b>PASJD</b><p>I am also interested in cards up through the 60's, as well as the discussions of grading/authentication/ethical/legal issues facing the hobby.

Archive
03-18-2005, 01:51 PM
Posted By: <b>Dan Bretta</b><p>I wouldn't limit photographs to nineteenth century only. I think a lot of people on this board are interested in Deadball era photographs. Myself included.

Archive
03-18-2005, 02:13 PM
Posted By: <b>Eric B</b><p><P>to post WWll cards through 1977 or there abouts.</P><P>Eric</P>

Archive
03-18-2005, 02:22 PM
Posted By: <b>dennis</b><p>1945 thru 1969 baseball cards and memoribilia quite interesting

Archive
03-18-2005, 03:14 PM
Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>I feel that the Balkanization of the board has been detrimental and would be against further changes along those lines. I find it interesting and at times helpful to have a wide variety of issues and fields discussed in one forum. In addition to being much easier to peruse than multiple linked boards, I think the variety adds to the overall feel of the board. That card board is getting pretty darned boring on its own and I am afraid that the more fragmented the board becomes the less likely it is to draw in partic

Archive
03-18-2005, 03:28 PM
Posted By: <b>Dan Bretta</b><p>One reason I think compartmentalizing the board would be helpful is that I think it would cut down on the fighting with people upset about supposed OT posts. I think it actually could spur more discussions if it's compartmentalized.

Archive
03-18-2005, 03:30 PM
Posted By: <b>Julie</b><p>If forced to choose (ugh!) I'd want 19th century cards, photography and memorabilia, deadballera cards, photography and mermorabilia, 20s-30s cards, photography and memorabilia.<br /><br />And anything which suits the interests of ohers that I have not mentioned.<br /><br />I dread the morning i wake up and find everything compartmentalized, and half of it not even there...

Archive
03-18-2005, 04:04 PM
Posted By: <b>Dan Bretta</b><p>Actually I wouldn't mind it if it stays the way it is, as I don't think this place gets so much traffic that it's hard to find what you're looking for. As long as threads are properly titled.

Archive
03-18-2005, 04:04 PM
Posted By: <b>Max Weder</b><p>Besides pre-wwII cards, I would like to see the following<br /><br /><b>1. post wwII to pre-1972 cards </b>(I only chose this last date because it's when I stopped buying cards as a kid, started playing basketball, and seems like a date when polyester started to dominate baseball uniforms)<br /><br /><b>2. Vintage memorabila </b>(all aspects of ephemera, autographs, photographs, books, etc) I don't think there's enough traffic on these to warrant a large number of subcategories.<br /><br /><b>3. grading/authentication/ethical/legal/ebay scams/everything else OT or slightly OT issues </b><br /><br />Max

Archive
03-18-2005, 04:10 PM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>catagories I'd like to see:<br /><br />Off-topic: any thing goes here<br /><br />Auction Announcements: place for major auction hosues and other to announce current auctions and people to look for other bid with on large groups.<br /><br />eBay Alerts: post scams, special listing days and other eBay related stuff<br /><br />Board stuff: an area for posting about shows and board members meeting up, such as the national, etc. Basically things that relate to members of the board getting together etc. Could also be the place for youa nd Leon to make announcements about board news, etc<br /><br />I can think of other catagories, but I would never visit them such as autographs and space for the grading companies.<br /><br />Jay<br /><br /><br /><br />I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Archive
03-18-2005, 04:14 PM
Posted By: <b>Bob C</b><p>I agree with Adam. It ain't broke so don't fix it. Anyone read "Blink" yet?

Archive
03-18-2005, 06:07 PM
Posted By: <b>Ted</b><p>I would like to see in addition to the pre WWI topic:<br /><br />ebay auctions and issues: Drawing attention to auctions, scams and other items of interest.<br /><br />Baseball from WWI to 1965: These are the middle years as far as I am concerned. The 1965 date is certainly negotiable with 1959 being better and 1979 as the latest acceptable.<br /><br />Off topic: Here is room for plans to meet at the National and other chit chat that we all like to banter about from time to time.<br><br>Ted<br />He who so shall, so shall he who!

Archive
03-18-2005, 06:13 PM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>The forum has already established that WW2 is the cut point for vintage, there is no reason to push it back to WW1 even though most of the talk is focused in that area. I don't want to see cards from the 20s and 30s mixed in with cards issued after WW2. Anything Bowman or Topps I consider modern era cards, as I think most other people do and have no business being discussed with Goudeys, Diamond Stars and other pre-WW2 issues. The creation of a post WW2-1980 or whatever date should be perfectly fine.<br /><br />Jay<br /><br /><br><br>I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Archive
03-19-2005, 03:35 PM
Posted By: <b>Dave Williams</b><p>I'd like 2 forums max.<br /><br />1 to discuss anything pre WW2 and the other to discuss post WW2 to 1973 (the last year Topps issued cards in series)<br /><br />I collect both pre and post WW2, cards mainly, but find the autograph/photos/bats and balls/boxing threads interesting. I don't know why someone should be upset when an autograph thread pops up in the card forum.<br /><br />You split it up into too many forums too specialized and it becomes difficult to maneuver through and fewer people will watch each forum.

Archive
03-19-2005, 03:48 PM
Posted By: <b>JimB</b><p>Put my vote in the keep it as it is column - 2 divisions max- :"vintage baseball cards" and "vintage baseball memorabilia" including photos, uniforms, equipment, etc.. As far as dates go, I would say pre-WWII is a good divider. Perhaps at most have one additional off-topic link for anything from non-baseball to Post WWII baseball.<br />JimB<br /><br /><br /><br /><br />

Archive
03-19-2005, 04:23 PM
Posted By: <b>Reid Bruce</b><p>I think Jim's suggestion is a good one. If the board is divided into too many subgroups, then it is likely that this whole enterprise will wither away and die. The best option is to start with three divisions: Pre-WWII Cards, Pre-WWII Photos and Memorabilia and a free for all category. If it needs to be subdivided more in the future, then wait for the future to do it. Move slowly on this one or there might not be a board in a few months. Just my two cents.

Archive
03-19-2005, 05:08 PM
Posted By: <b>leonl</b><p>Like I said in the other post about the board direction I have made a decision and will disclose it tomorrow. I believe it will strengthen the board in the long run. I appreciate everyone's comments and concerns. best regards

Archive
03-19-2005, 11:05 PM
Posted By: <b>ramram</b><p>I very much agree with what Adam said. My main area of interest is early images but I like learning about the other cross-over material and seeing the new topics all on one page. I agree that I think it will disintegrate as people get compartmentalized into various "rooms". I sure hope that's not where this is going.<br /><br />Rob M.