PDA

View Full Version : help with 1969 Globe Imports

Archive
03-15-2005, 10:51 AM
Posted By: <b>Alan Elefson</b><p> I realize this is on the very edge of vintage, but I figured I would try here anyway. I emailed Bob Lemke scans of my collection of 1969 Globe Imports including then uncatalogued variations including Ace of Spades Drysdale and others. I was happy to see him expand the listing in the 05 big book, but I was wondering how rare these variations are? The price listed is similar to all cards in the set with the exception of the Mantle variant. <br /> For those who do not know, 1969 Globe Imports are flimsy, paper thin black and white (and muddy) photos with a blank back. They are also very small. I am told very few (if any) people collect these. Please let me know if you can assist me on any of the following questions:<br />1. Any other Drysdale Ace of Spades out there (normal variant is Ken Harrelson) (I have more than a dozen Mantles, dozens of Harrelsons, but only two Drysdales)<br />2. How about the rarity of the airbrushed logo set versus the team logo set? (My experience is that the airbrushed logo removed are the most common)<br />3. Any other uncatalogued variations out there? <br />4. How about different backing types beyond the checkered back described in the big book?<br />5. Any information possible as to years of issue (I am guessing 68-70 based on player selection and variations, but I would like to nail down a defintitive span).<br />6. Any information about the manufacturer and if the distribution method was other than vending machines. <br />7. Where are they all? I visit some shows in the Boston area and try to hit Marlboro once and awhile, and Wilmington every year, most dealers say they have seen them but do not have any, even the big dealers (granted, this is a limited survey).<br /> Any help on any of these issues would be greatly appreciated. If you have any questions feel free to email me at hephep99@aol.com. Also, I can send scans of the hundred and fifty or so different cards from this set in my collection. <br />Thanks in advance,<br />Alan Elefson