PDA

View Full Version : Cobb Novelty Cutlery On Ebay

Archive
03-09-2005, 05:12 AM
Posted By: <b>Paul</b><p>I'm suspicious of this one. I think there are some reprints out there, but I'm not familiar with them. The seller's history doesn't generate much confidence. What do y'all think?<br /><br /><br /><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=6161283890&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=6161283890&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT</a>

Archive
03-09-2005, 03:15 PM
Posted By: <b>dennis</b><p>i always look who's bidding and i recognize a few of the bidders,so i would guess the card is good.

Archive
03-09-2005, 04:23 PM
Posted By: <b>Robert Edward Auctions</b><p>This image is taken from Robert Edward Auctions' May 2004 sale, Lot #411, with the PSA holder cropped out. The person who is presenting this auction almost certainly does not have the card, but has a photo from our catalog or has copied the photo from our site. I'd post the link but we have taken down all past lots down while we run a system test.

Archive
03-09-2005, 04:56 PM
Posted By: <b>Paul</b><p>Wow, I think I remember the card from your auction. I think it was a PSA 4 with an MK qualifier. Interesting... Thank you both for your reply's.

Archive
03-09-2005, 06:12 PM
Posted By: <b>Jeff</b><p>I have reported this person on numerous occasions for suspicious auctions(he even had his feedback go private for a couple of days) and eBay even pulled 5 of them about a month ago. The auctions all had buy it nows and the cards had a little over $48,000 in book value that could have been bought for a total of $2,514. <br /><br />What got them pulled was that he was using the same BS that all scammers are now using "UNGRADED CARDS ARE SOLD "AS IS".AUTHENTICITY IS NOT ASSURED." and was reported for breaking the authenticity disclaimer policy "Sellers may not disclaim knowledge of, or responsibility for, the authenticity or legality of the items offered in their listings."<br /><br />Was just lucky that someone at eBay understood what was going on and saved potential buyers the loss of their hard earned cash.<br />

Archive
03-09-2005, 07:36 PM
Posted By: <b>joe maples</b><p>Hi, just pulled the catalog out from this auction, it does look like the same card. It is a small picture around 2" x 1 1/4" with the PSA holder. Not sure how it would be done without losing more clarity, maybe someone else knows. I guess he takes a picture of the complete card and holder and cuts out the holder on his computer, than lays the new picture on a black piece of paper. Then takes another picture, does this soumd right?<br /><br />Joe<br /><br />

Archive
03-09-2005, 07:42 PM
Posted By: <b>Paul</b><p>I must say I love this board. I'm fairly new here, & I appreciate all of your knowledge. The Cobb Novelty Cutlery is one of my "holy grail" cards, so I definetly need a sanity check when seeing one. Like our friend CYCLEBACK David says, "always trust your first instinct".

Archive
03-09-2005, 09:45 PM
Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>What exactly is Novelty Cutlery? Sounds like the premise for a Monty Python skit that involves a lot of fake blood.

Archive
03-09-2005, 09:49 PM
Posted By: <b>Dan Bretta</b><p>I emailed the seller and asked him if this was the same postcard that was in the Robert Edward auction last year, and he said he acquired it from a reputable dealer in Minnesota and as far as he knows it has never been in a PSA holder. I'm not sure why he said that because I never mentioned PSA. He is going to send me another scan of the card to prove to me that he has it.

Archive
03-10-2005, 03:04 AM
Posted By: <b>Paul</b><p>I emailed the seller, & asked him if it was from the May 2004 auction, & if it was ever in a PSA holder. That's probably why he mentioned PSA in your email. However, I've got no response to those questions. He did respond to an earlier question on it's measurements. His response was "card measures 5 15/32 x 3 1/2 with Cobb pic vertical. Appears to be 1/32 shy, however I do not see any visible evidence of trimming, thank you".<br />

Archive
03-10-2005, 08:15 AM
Posted By: <b>Robert Edward Auctions</b><p>This morning we called the winner of the Cobb Novelty Cutlery card Lot #411 (May 2004 REA). He still has the card. Again, the "card" listed on eBay is definitely just the image of Lot #411 copied from our website. There are many unique distinguishing characteristics about the card which makes it a certainty that it is the Lot #411 card. On the web (unlike in the REA catalog) we pictured the back of the card also, to illustrate the area of soiling on the back referred to in the description. Therefore, it is a certainty that the image was stolen from the web, and the "seller" does not have the card.

Archive
03-10-2005, 08:43 AM
Posted By: <b>Paul</b><p>Thank you for going the extra mile on this. Like I said in my earlier post, it's one of my "holy grail" cards, so it would have been tempting to bid. I'm registered for your next auction, so I'll be checking it out. Also, thanks for your "honest auto bid" format.

Archive
03-10-2005, 03:17 PM
Posted By: <b>Paul</b><p>So does the "winner" receive nothing? Or does he get a nice new photocopy?

Archive
03-12-2005, 11:42 PM
Posted By: <b>RobertEdwardAuctions</b><p>Heard from the eBay seller (Wallstreetrecruiter) via email (obviously from reading this board, as we did not contact him):<br /><br />Subject: YOUR POST ON NETWORK 54 RE1907 TY COBB PC805 Novelty Cutlery Postcard Item number: 6161283890 <br />Date: 3/12/2005 6:50:16 P.M. Eastern Standard Time <br />From: wallstreetrecruiter@msn.com <br /><br />DEAR SIR,<br /> <br />WITH REGARD TO YOUR POST ON NEWTORK 54 WHERE YOU MAKE THE STATEMENT THAT "Therefore, it is a certainty that the image was stolen from the web, and the "seller" does not have the card." PLEASE BEADVISED THAT THE COBB NOVELTY CARD YOU ARE REFERRING TO IS MOST CERTAINLY IN MY POSSESSION AND SHORT OF YOU KNOCKING ON MY DOOR AND SEEING THIS FOR YOURSELF, I ASK WHAT I CAN DO TO PROVE THIS TO YOU? I HAVE SENT 2 SCANS OUT W/A SPECIFIC EMAIL ON TOP OF THER CARD BUT IT APPEARS THAT ONLY ILLICITS A RESPONSE THAT I AM AN EXPERT IN "CUT AND PASTE" AND THE IMAGE IS NOT ORIGINAL! AGAIN, 100% UNTRUE, AS WELL AS SLANDEROUS AT MINIMUM.<br /> <br />I RESPECTFULLY AWAIT YOUR REPLY WITH A REASONABLE SOLUTION TO THE SITUATION, AS I AGAIN STRESS, THE COBB IS 100% IN MY POSSESSION AND I AM READY TO PROVE IT.<br /> <br />I THANK YOU IN ADVANCE,<br /> <br /> <br />WALLSTREETRECRUITER<br />-----------------------------------------------------------<br /><br />I thought, well, maybe somehow I was in error, or that he was a victim who had purchased a reproduction, and respectfully responded as follows:<br /><br />Dear Wallstreetrecruiter, Here is a link to our Lot #411 Ty Cobb postcard from May 2004:<br /><a href="http://www.liveauctioneers.com/auctions/ebay/292696.html" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://www.liveauctioneers.com/auctions/ebay/292696.html</a> <br />The small stain in the same spot in the upper right made me think this is the same card. Please view this for yourself. The areas of light staining on the reverse appear to be in the identical places as well. If you have a real card, the chances of these distinguishing characteristics being in the same place on both cards, of course, are extremely small. Are you sure you have a legitimate card and not a reproduction of the card in Lot #411? Look at the pictures and you will see what I see. In addition, the eBay auction reserve of $500, and estimate of $1000/$1500 is identical to the reserve and estimate on Lot #411 (and having a reserve and high-low estimate range is an extreme rarity in the text of non-eBay Live auctions; the liklihood of having a reserve, low estimate and high estimate all identical to Lot #411 would seem all the more improbable, but anything is possible). If this is just an extraordinary coincidence, and if you have a legitimate card which by chance has the same problems in the same areas as Lot #411, which has also been described with the same reserve and estimate as Lot #411, then I am mistaken and I am sorry. The fact that you have written suggests that you are sincere. I hope you have a legitimate card. If you think you may have purchased a reproduction, I would be happy to personally review it for you. If you have a legitimate card and the conclusions I have drawn based on my observations are in error, and you are willing to send the card to me to review to verify, I will not only pay for PSA grading of your card (which will enhance it's value), I will additionally work with you to somehow compensate you for my error. Like anyone, I can make mistakes. When it comes to baseball cards and memorabilia, they are rare, but I am human. When I do make a mistake, I pride myself on making things right, and if I have made a mistake in this instance, I hope you will give me the opportunity to make it up to you in some tangible way. Also, if you are the victim of buying a reproduction, I will be happy to help you in any way I can to get your money back.<br />Sincerely,<br />Robert Lifson<br />President<br />Robert Edward Auctions, LLC<br />800-766-9324<br />------------------------------------------------------------------<br />After sending this response, I more closely reviewed and compared the text of both descriptions, and sent the following second email a few minutes later:<br /><br />Dear Wallstreetrecruiter, Below is your description, and our catalog description for Lot #411 from May 2005.<br /><br />Your eBay description forItem number:6161283890:<br /><br />1907 TY COBB PC805 Novelty Cutlery Postcard "RARE"<br /><br />Magnificent example of one of Ty Cobb's most striking and attractive cards, from the very rare and highly regarded PC805 Novelty Cutlery postcard set, issued in 1907. <br />This beauty has No creases. Never mailed. No writing on postcard reverse. Just a hint of corner wear. Bright and clean, both front and back.We grade this card solid Excellent condition. Reserve $500. Estimate $1,000/$1,500.<br /><br /><br /><br /><br />REA description Lot 411, May 2004:<br /><br />1907 Novelty Cutlery Ty Cobb<br /><br />Magnificent example of one of Ty Cobb's most striking and attractive cards, from the very rare and highly regarded PC805 Novelty Cutlery postcard set, issued in 1907. This beauty has been very harshly graded VG-EX 4 (MK) by PSA. No creases. Never mailed. No writing on postcard reverse. Just a hint of corner wear. Bright and clean, both front and back. PSA has given the MK qualifier, in reference to a small area of soiling on the reverse which is so minor we would never even think it appropriate to mention. We grade this card solid Excellent condition. Reserve $500. Estimate $1,000/$1,500.<br /><br /><br />Note that every word in your description has been taken directly from Robert Edward Auctions' Lot #411 description. Every single word. Now, this cannot possibly be a coincidence. Where did your description come from? Did this language accompany the card you purchased from the seller? <br /><br />Sincerely, <br /><br />Robert Lifson<br /><br />President<br /><br />Robert Edward Auctions, LLC<br /><br />-----------------------------------------------------------<br />Not sure what the story is on this, but I found this fascinating, and thought others would as well. <br />

Archive
03-13-2005, 03:19 AM
Posted By: <b>Elliot</b><p>If you look through his feedback you will see that this is NOT the first fake that he has sold. I'm sure he will send you a genuine printed copy of the original. This printed copy is what he has in his possession.