PDA

View Full Version : Gil Hodges Strikes Out

Archive
03-02-2005, 05:02 PM
Posted By: <b>Paul</b><p>For those of you who haven't heard, the Veterans Committee elected the same people today that it elected yesterday -- no one. Hodges and Santo were the closest, receiving 52 votes each, but 60 were required.<br /><br />I've always rooted for Hodges, and I think Carl Mays is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay underappreciated. But I think there's a lot to be said for the idea that the Veterans Committee (or whatever they call it now) has outlived its usefulness.

Archive
03-02-2005, 06:42 PM
Posted By: <b>Wp</b><p>Hodges is one of my favorites, however I do not think he belongs in the HALL. Santo on the other hand should be a lock HOFer.

Archive
03-03-2005, 05:47 AM
Posted By: <b>PASJD</b><p>I agree with the vote in both instances. I also agree the Veterans' committee should be disbanded. Whatever past oversights existed have been corrected, and then some. Going forward if you can't make it in five years, you don't deserve to be in.

Archive
03-03-2005, 06:40 AM
Posted By: <b>Bob Marquette</b><p>Jim Kaat and Tony Oliva tied for 3rd place. Kaat has 280 wins and 18 gold gloves. He is more deserving than Don Sutton but Sutton did last long enough to win 300 games.<br />Tony O. should be a lock for the Hall. He was better than Kirby Puckett, just didn't have his noteriety, playing in Minnesota in the 60's and 70's when baseball there was a wasteland. It makes me sick to see guys like Billy Williams slide in and Tony O. on the outside looking in. The most feared hitter in the American League during his time according to the pitchers who faced him. A marvelous athlete with speed, a powerful arm and a great hitter. A real shame...