PDA

View Full Version : Finally! The definitive answer on the toughest card in the T207 set

Archive
02-26-2005, 04:45 PM
Posted By: <b>tbob</b><p><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=86841&item=5170156587&rd=1" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=86841&item=5170156587&rd=1</a><br /><br />Where do they find these guys anyway?

Archive
02-26-2005, 04:52 PM
Posted By: <b>petecld</b><p>You HAVE to wonder sometimes where these poeple come from.<br /><br />Crook(?) Dumb a--(?) Little of both(?)

Archive
02-26-2005, 05:26 PM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>Please note that if you place the minimum bid instead of hitting the BIN, you do save a whole dollar. That can make all the difference in the world.

Archive
02-26-2005, 05:50 PM
Posted By: <b>petecld</b><p>Could the t207 seller be related to this guy?<br /><br /><br /><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31719&item=5169743270" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31719&item=5169743270</a><br /><br /><br />1923. . . yeah. . .whatever.

Archive
02-26-2005, 08:04 PM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>Pete, there are number of sellers that seem to believe those Conlon cards are from the date printed on them, lol.<br /><br />Jay<br><br>I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Archive
02-26-2005, 08:22 PM
Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>As far as the 'Babe Ruth 1923 Baseball Card' goes, if the seller thought it was really from 1923 he wouldn't have had a 95 cent opening bid.

Archive
02-26-2005, 10:10 PM
Posted By: <b>Shannon</b><p> I emailed the seller of the Wiltse card and asked him were he got his info. from stating that it is the rarest card of the T207 set and his reply " I have 2 sets why do ask? Why do you think it is not? I never told him it was not, just asked how he came to that conclusion. I emailed him again asking if he wanted to sell some of those commons ie Miller W, Sweeney and a couple others havent heard back yet.

Archive
02-27-2005, 04:13 AM
Posted By: <b>Anonymous</b><p>I asked the guy with the "1923" if it`s too late to ad a, Buy it Now Feature" for say .98 cents. No reply as of yet.

Archive
02-27-2005, 04:27 AM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>Is it possible that the seller of the T207 is looking at those cockeyed numbers in the 2005 catalog? By his response, it sounds more likely that he took some bad acid and was just coming down when he posted on ebay.

Archive
02-27-2005, 05:18 AM
Posted By: <b>Shannon</b><p> He does have 2 sets, so maybe he knows something that we dont.

Archive
02-27-2005, 06:11 AM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>If he had two sets, he would be an expert on which cards are scarce by now.

Archive
02-27-2005, 08:14 AM
Posted By: <b>Anonymous</b><p>DO you think that, in either of his two sets, he has a Harry Davis with a blue "C" on his cap? I Bet he'll say he does.<br /><br />Doug

Archive
02-27-2005, 08:29 AM
Posted By: <b>dan mckee</b><p>Bob, did you have to post this??? I am in the process of shutting this guy down for $849.50

Archive
02-27-2005, 11:48 AM
Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>I emailed a seller recently on a couple of errors on card descriptions (one described as a rarity that was not and one described as uncatalogued that is catalogued). I was very polite and not trying to be a jerk, just telling him he had a couple of mistakes. His response in essence was "nuh-unh"...

Archive
02-27-2005, 07:55 PM
Posted By: <b>Rhys</b><p>This person is misinformed about the price based 100% on the 2005 SCD errors in printing of the T207 set. They told me a dealer at a local show got the price guide out and made him think he was getting a good deal and went off about how rare this card was. This is about the 10th person I have come into contact with who was mislead by BIG DEALERS into thinking they were buying something great based on the price guides mistakes.<br /><br />Imagine when you first started to collect if the "Bible" of baseball cards had errors this obvious and bad. I would bet every single person would have fallen victim to something like this when we were just starting out and relying on the advice and opinions of more knowledgable dealers.<br /><br />So what is worse; the fact that the 2005 SCD guide is so sloppily proofread so that one of the cornerstone sets of the prewar hobby is butchered? Or, that dealers across the country are ripping people off and selling them these cards that they KNOW are mistakes for discounted prices of $100-$200 and making them think they are getting a good deal? I know, caveat emptor; but the blame in this situation is based on the dealer, not uninformed ebay seller who is passing along information they were fed by people who know better. <br /><br />Rhys

Archive
02-27-2005, 09:42 PM
Posted By: <b>tbob</b><p>I haven't bought the 2005 SCD yet. Is Wiltse's name listed next to Weaver's prices? He's the only guy in the set who would be close alphabetically which would make him think that way.<br />By the way, if this guy has 2 T207 sets and thinks Wiltse is so rare, then I have 4 T206 Honus Wagners in PSA 8 (and I don't mean reprints)! Anyone who has owned a T207 complete set can tell you in a flash that Wiltse is a common with a recruit back and is a common common.<br />By the way, I happened to look at the 2004 SCD and saw scarce back cards of Blanding, Birmingham and Butcher were listed at common prices while McBride, a very common common is listed the same as the toughies. So mark it down as 2 years in a row that someone didn't do their homework on the T207 set. <br />About 3 years ago Bob L. sent me a request for a card by card value of this and a few other sets. Bob, if you're reading this, I'd be glad to volunteer my services again because the values for T207 cards is cockeyed, even considering the slipped line typo from the 2005 book. <br />

Archive
02-27-2005, 10:07 PM
Posted By: <b>J Levine</b><p>In the 2005 SCD Wiltse is listed for a modest $1650. The price is supposed to belong to Joe Wood...Wiltse in reality list high book at $200. <br /><br />-Joshua

Archive
02-28-2005, 11:45 AM
Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>the errors in the guide were brought to everyone's attention in the Hobby via posts here and articles in SCD as soon as they happened. Also, if you look at the book itself it is obvious there was a typo since there are cards with no prices at all. IMHO any dealer who handles these cards and uses the book would know that there was a mistake, but there is also no limit to what a greedy dummy will blind himself to; look at all the telemarketing scams...