PDA

View Full Version : M116 Sporting Life portrait variations

Archive
02-01-2005, 02:18 PM
Posted By: <b>tbob</b><p>Besides Cy Young and Frank Baker, does anyone know of any other variations in images in this set. The black back and blue back Baker are very different, whereas the 2 Youngs appear to be only different because the portraits were cropped differently. I am not sure if the Youngs are black and blue back as I have only seen the one image in person.

Archive
02-01-2005, 06:00 PM
Posted By: <b>Peter Thomas</b><p>Tbob - in the near set that I consigned to Mastro and Scott bought There was one card that like the Young was cropped differently. There was an additional button showing on the shirt and coloring quite different. I can not remenber the card, but may have info @ office. Peter

Archive
02-01-2005, 08:02 PM
Posted By: <b>scott brockelman</b><p>bob, <br /><br />all of the reissued blue backs have cropping difference that vary from barely detectable to easily distinguishable. also the hue on the front background is usually a little different as well. many can be identified from the front as to whether they have a black back or blue back.<br /><br />scott

Archive
02-02-2005, 02:17 PM
Posted By: <b>Bob Marquette</b><p>Can you guys give me any info on the player's names where there are different portraits? Does the particular type of back advertising have any thing to do with it? I mention this because the blue back and black back Bakers are totally different on the front, just wondered about others...

Archive
02-02-2005, 03:02 PM
Posted By: <b>fkw</b><p>The Joe Tinker cards are cropped 2 ways. I remember back in the 80s thinking I had a variation and wrote Lipset He told me one was the black ink back the other blue ink. If I remember right one card had a button showing while other didnt (closer photo crop). Frank

Archive
02-02-2005, 08:57 PM
Posted By: <b>Bob Marquette</b><p>I stumbled on to a very sharp looking M116 Clarke HOFer with a black back on ebay tonight and BINed it. He has a white shirt on in this pose as opposed to a purple shirt on my blue back card. Strange...