PDA

View Full Version : T213-2 Coupon Bill Chapelle variation

Archive
01-31-2005, 08:17 PM
Posted By: <b>Rob McKenzie</b><p>The 1999 SCD that I have states that the T213-2 Coupon cards were issued between 1914-1916. The checklist has #29 as Bill Chapelle (one p) Brooklyn 'R' on shirt and #30 Larry Chapelle (Chappel) no 'R' on shirt Cleveland.<br /><br />According to the registry I have, Larry Chappel played outfield in 3 games for Cleveland in 1916 and Bill Chappelle was a pitcher whose last year was with Brooklyn in 1914.<br /><br />Is the card in this auction supposed to be the "Larry Chappel" # 30 as listed in the 99 SCD?...<br /><br /> <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5159752760" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5159752760</a><br /><br /><br /><br /> The picture is still of Bill Chappelle from the T206 set. The printer must have confused the 2 players. If these are the only 2 variations, then it seems like #30 should be designated as "Bill Chappelle, error Cleveland" since the card still pictures Bill Chappelle, not Larry Chappel.<br /><br /><br />Anyone else have any other confusing variations in this set?

Archive
01-31-2005, 09:37 PM
Posted By: <b>tbob</b><p>The card is Larry Chapelle (Chapel) but it actually pictures Bill Chapelle. They took Bill's image, airbrushed (or whatever they did way back when) the letter off his uniform and made it a Larry card. But that is still Bill.

Archive
02-01-2005, 01:50 PM
Posted By: <b>Rob McKenzie</b><p>TBob,<br /><br />Thanks for the info. I guess I just thought it was odd that the Coupon card distributors would reissue the Bill Chappelle card 2 years later with Larry Chappel in mind, since Larry played in only 3 games in Cleveland. Nonetheless, it gives the Cleveland collectors another card to chase.

Archive
02-01-2005, 02:06 PM
Posted By: <b>tbob</b><p>I keep wondering when the T213 Coupon sets are going to take off, price-wise. They are extremely scarce (especially compared to their cousins the T206) but collectors seem to avoid them because they have the same fronts as the T206s. That hasn't held back the E92s, E101s and E102s which have many of the same fronts as the E90-1s and share common fronts with each other. Maybe it is the fact Coupons are rarely located outside of Louisana...

Archive
02-02-2005, 06:39 AM
Posted By: <b>Gilbert Maines</b><p>Ok, I'll bite.<br /><br />What determines the identity of a card? The player listed in the caption, or the one portrayed on the card? It always seems that the claim against these cards is "wrong picture". Why not "wrong caption"? Certainly both printing errors could exist.

Archive
02-02-2005, 02:12 PM
Posted By: <b>Bob Marquette</b><p>The identity of a card is the name printed on the caption despite the fact that the wrong guy is pictured. There are several examples of "wrong guys" in both tobacco and caramel pre-war sets but always the player is designated as captioned. I guess the most famous are the Cy/Irv Young screw-ups but there are plenty of wrong Mitchells, Doyles, etc. to go around.

RCMcKenzie
12-03-2012, 07:55 PM
Here was an old thread on t213 that I found. I could not find the one where the purple dye cards were discussed, but it must be on here somewhere.