PDA

View Full Version : ones that didnt get away

Archive
01-27-2005, 07:39 AM
Posted By: <b>rob</b><p>I am getting slightly depressed with the link of cards that got away, that I would love some stories of great finds or dumb luck to cheer me up...my brief tale of good fortune was over a year ago when I bought 10 cards blindly in an auction in Louisiana, I live in CT so I offered a blind bid through a co-worker. I thought I was getting the T206's, and having never owned a tobacco card, thought it would be pretty neat. Turns out I bought 10 T213 type 3 "overprint" cards, which are rarer than rare, including 2 Ty Cobbs. I could probably sell one cobb now for close to what I paid for the lot of 10. Sadly, that will probably be the peek of my collecting fortune, but it has gotten me hooked on t213's and now t206's...so what are some other strokes of good fortune.

Archive
01-27-2005, 09:07 AM
Posted By: <b>JimB</b><p>I bought a mint T206 Johnson pitching pose raw in the early 1990's. I submitted it to PSA later and it came back PSA 9. It is now worth about ten times what I payed for it (which was not cheap at the time), not to mention that it remains one of my favorite cards in my collection.<br />JimB

Archive
01-27-2005, 09:09 AM
Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>This one happened to a friend of mine about 15 years ago (I know, lawyers aren't supposed to have friends): He bought a bunch of T cards at a garage sale for a buck each. Mostly T206 commons, but a few HOFers, so it was a good deal but not great. As he was leaving, the woman running the sale came up to him and handed him one more card for free: a Colgan's Wagner. <br /><br />This one is all mine: Local show, I'm leaving, and there is a lost-looking guy in the lobby of the hotel. I ask him if he is looking for the show and he says he is looking to sell a collection. He has a becketts and wants 50% of high prices on the cards. I look over the lot and they are stellar 1952 and 1954 Topps cards, many with hairline creases, however, including the biggest names (Williams, Mays, Aaron). I buy several right there for all the cash I have and get his business card. Since he wants half of book and the dealers try to lowball him beause of the creased cards, he leaves without selling much and calls me. I buy several thousand dollars of cards from him, but they all grade 7-9, including a ton of 8's and a number of 9's. I have my cash out of the deal in a month or two and a nice collection to boot.<br /><br />

Archive
01-27-2005, 09:10 AM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>an antique show in a mall in Orlando in 1982 is where I made my Frieside purchase along with a bunch of other incredible items. The dealer thought the Firesides were t206s. He had Collins, Plank, Baker, Bender, Mack and Barry. When he said $100 for all 6, I didn't bat an eyelash, gave him my money and practically ran from the table so he couldn't change is mind. At this same show I picked up a run of team photos of the Minneapolis Millers and St Paul Saints from 1935-60 taht included photos of Ted Williams, Willie MAys, Ray Dandridge, Willie McCovey, Orlando Cepeda and Carl Yaz(howeverthehellyouspellhisname).<br /><br />Jay<br><br>Wow upside down is Mom. Mom upside down is what dad wants to see.

Archive
01-27-2005, 09:11 AM
Posted By: <b>Gilbert Maines</b><p>Among the cards from my youth that Mom did not throw away were 3 Kaline + 2 Clemente rookies. Thanks Mom! But how did you know?<br /><br />I found neither very interesting (until price guides).

Archive
01-27-2005, 09:26 AM
Posted By: <b>J Levine</b><p>Have had some great luck over the years but I know that several buys stand out in the last few years. I am on a limited income (teacher in California) so I tend to hunt cards and deals and always keep my ear out. Many of you have heard the story about this past year...bought a '41 Playball set in vg+ condition for $300 because a dealer was too busy talking to friends to help an old man. I bought two N-300s (Anson and Robinson) for $400 (Anson fair, Robinson poor) from someone who posted on the net54 board (just lucky and quick on that one). I also bought this year a partial set of '61 Nu-card scoops at a local show for $20...only missing 6 commons. Most cards were ex+.<br /><br />A few other notable purchases in the last couple of years...<br /><br />Sports Illustrated #1 with cards inside in great condition from a garage sale for $20. <br /><br />5 N-172 Old Judges for $50...all fairly nice with one small pinhole in the top right corner of each...sold them this past year for around $150 each!<br /><br />A T-205 Wallace no cap for $30 last year at a local show...one of Adam W. and my favorite dealers was offered the card and the dealer turned to me and told the guy I would be interested!!<br /><br />A t-205 blank back in ex+ from above dealer for less than $100.<br /><br />About 7 years ago, my obsession with T-205s began because I found a Matty for less than $30...within in three weeks at three seperate shows, I picked up the Speaker, Johnson, and two other Mattys...total for all was less than $200. Granted...not mint but no paper loss or writing on any and everything is completely readable and presentable.<br /><br />-Joshua

Archive
01-27-2005, 11:54 AM
Posted By: <b>pete</b><p>aBOUT 10 YEARS AGO AT A SMALL BB CARD SHOW IN SILVER SPRING, MD...I BOUGHT A SOLLY HOFFMAN T206 WITH A DRUM BACK FOR $30. IT WAS PRETTY BEAT UP BUT SINCE IT HAD A DRUM BACK I DIDN'T HAGGLE OVER THE PRICE!!!!!!<br /><br />MY FIRST T206 I BOUGHT AS A KID IN THE LATE 70'S WAS A WHITE CAP MATTY FOR $2.<br /><br />LAST BUT NOT LEAST...I BOUGHT A ABATICCIO, BLUE SLEAVES WITH A LENNOX BACK IN EX FOR $60 AND THE GUY THREW IN A D322 TIP TOP COMMON FOR FREE!

Archive
01-27-2005, 12:09 PM
Posted By: <b>JimB</b><p>I almost forgot my first T206 purchase, a nice, clean T206 Cobb portrait with red background for $90 in 1980. Actually, it was part cash, part trade, but that is what the shop dealer valued the card at. Ahh, the good old days...<br />JimB

Archive
01-27-2005, 05:14 PM
Posted By: <b>Mike</b><p>My 1914 Cracker Jack Mathewson on Ebay in May 2003 for $1550.00. My wife said I was crazy. I would have to pay over 10K for it now.

Archive
01-28-2005, 07:07 AM
Posted By: <b>jackgoodman</b><p>Also 1987, a local strip mall show in Northern Cal just prior to the National: Guy comes up with a full box of 1958 Topps Football cello packs. I purchased one cello with a Unitas (second year) on top and sadly, let him walk away with the other 23 (the 23 that did get away). He subsequently sold the others at the national to another dealer. That dealer immediately started reselling the packs for $100 per. So buying the one with Unitas on top for $25 looks like it was a good deal that didn't get away.<br /><br />And no, there were no Jim Browns on top or bottom showing. I looked!