PDA

View Full Version : What's the story with CSA?

Archive
01-24-2005, 05:03 PM
Posted By: <b>Mark</b><p>Are CSA-graded cards likely to be reprints, trimmed or both (haha)? I'm wondering whether it's worth adding a CSA-graded card to my colection that doesn't come around too often. I might do so if I can be assured that the card is at least going to be authentic though possibly altered or overgraded. I realize that CSA is not as repected as the guys that mistook Honus for Heinie, but my sense if they're a step above PRO (not that that says anything). Anyone know if their shortcoming is detecting fakes or "merely" detecting alterations? Thanks.

Archive
01-24-2005, 05:08 PM
Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>CSA is a second rate but essentially honest outfit, at least as far as I've seen. Which is to say that I've gotten CSA cards that are good, good but overgraded, and altered. It is a crapshoot, so I'd make sure to examine the card under a strong light with a magnifier before buying it.

Archive
01-24-2005, 05:15 PM
Posted By: <b>Hal Lewis</b><p>There was time 5 years ago when CSA was second behind PSA and had potential. They have been passed by several (SGC, GAI) since then, but are basically honest. <br /><br />They don't have a reputation for slabbing trimmed or false stuff.

Archive
01-24-2005, 05:26 PM
Posted By: <b>Judge Dred</b><p>I purchased 4 CSA graded cards about 4-5 years ago. I popped them all out of the holders and sent them to SGC. In each case the card came back 1 full grade less than the CSA designation. I really didn't mind because they seemed to have been assigned generous grades to begin with. At least none came back as altered or reprints.

Archive
01-24-2005, 05:36 PM
Posted By: <b>Mark</b><p>Thanks guys..Hal, are you hedging your bet ("do don't")?<br /><br />

Archive
01-24-2005, 05:43 PM
Posted By: <b>Hal Lewis</b><p>My bad.<br /><br />I corrected my classic "lawyer doubletalk."

Archive
01-24-2005, 06:02 PM
Posted By: <b>Scott Forrest</b><p>it was in a NM holder - SGC sent it back as "trimmed".

Archive
01-24-2005, 07:15 PM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>I've had a few...all (which totals 2) were overgraded about a grade....and they were lower grade to start with.......later

Archive
01-25-2005, 04:42 PM
Posted By: <b>Mark Holt</b><p>I've had 2 CSA C55s - both 4's, I cracked them and sent to PSA where they also got 4s.