PDA

View Full Version : Squealing On eBay Scammers -- A Question

Archive
01-14-2005, 12:18 PM
Posted By: <b>Dizzy Dean</b><p>I have a question regarding contact with other eBay members to which I have not been able to find a definitive answer. I would greatly appreciate some opinions regarding this. I apologize in advance if this topic has been exhausted in a previous thread. I'll attempt to be brief but...<br /><br />A few weeks ago I bought a Johnson T206 (clearly listed as authentic) that turned out to be a reprint. Stupid -- I know -- I might be tempted to blame it on the Christmas spirit of goodwill but I'm blaming it on the scotch. Anyway, the scan looked right, the seller's feedback was fairly decent, and he offered full refunds. After I returned it he claimed I had sent him an empty envelope. Fortunately, I had taken the time to make detailed photographs of the bogus card next to a graded T206 before returning it (I guess it pays to be married to an attorney). These at least proved the card to be a fake even if he stuck by his story. He did not return any further e-mails or respond even after a letter from "my attorney" threatening suit and an eBay fraud alert filing. I then set about contacting a few of the buyers of his (supposedly) vintage guaranteed authentic cards that I found through his feedback list. I informed them merely of the facts of my case and asked them to take the time to examine their purchases more closely. As they then began contacting him, he magically began attempting to contact me (in a frantic state) to resolve the issue as this apparently scared the hell out of him. <br /><br />While I got almost all of my money back, he threatened repeatedly to file a complaint on me for contacting his buyers. Is this at all illegal, improper, or discouraged in anyone's opinion? I have received a couple of such e-mails from other eBayers warning me away from certain auctions or sellers in the last few years and I have always appreciated their concern (if their facts check out).<br /><br />With allowances made as to how I might have handled this matter differently (mistakes were made but I'm just glad it's over), what are the various opinions on this type of communication? Is it improper or is it to be encouraged? Thanks Much.

Archive
01-14-2005, 12:22 PM
Posted By: <b>Josh K.</b><p>I believe taht Ebay does have some rules about interfering with auctions _ my opinion, however, is that the auctions have to be legit to begin with. I wouldnt have done anything different than you - use whatever means you can to pressure the guy into refunding your money. As for his threat to report you to ebay, Im fairly sure that once they realize he is scamming people, your conduct, if improper will be "forgiven."

Archive
01-14-2005, 03:09 PM
Posted By: <b>tbob</b><p>My experience has been that by contacting potential buyers of a member's auction, even if the guy is a crook and rotten, you violate the Ebay rules and regs and can be terminated from the "privilege" of buying and selling on ebay. It stinks, but that is Ebay's attitude. "Auction interference" complaints are harshly dealt with. Ask the guys on this board who were once suspended from Ebay for doing the exact same thing as you.

Archive
01-14-2005, 03:13 PM
Posted By: <b>Paul</b><p>It is unlawful to FALSELY inform other potentiall buyers that a seller has cheated you. Truthful information is entirely legal. The problem is, a seller can file a complaint in court against you claiming that he did everything right and that your claim that he cheated you was false. You will then be in a legal battle over who is telling the truth. The law will be on your side somewhat. The seller will have the burden of proving that your statements were false, and this can be very difficult, even if your statements are close to the edge or a little exaggerated. But you will still have the expense of a lawsuit. <br /><br />For this reason, a lot of lawyers advise their clients not to blow the whistle on cheats. You have every right to do so, but you may be asking for headaches.

Archive
01-14-2005, 03:15 PM
Posted By: <b>jamie</b><p>my understanding of 'buyer intereference' has to do with live auctions. warning winning bidders, i believe, is completely within your rights.<br /><br />and by the way, bravo. i love to hear stories of these crooks getting their comeuppance

Archive
01-14-2005, 03:26 PM
Posted By: <b>Robert A</b><p>I am so sick of these scumbag losers on ebay.<br />I like to contact the potential buyers and forward the warning email to the stupid seller.<br /><br />

Archive
01-14-2005, 10:27 PM
Posted By: <b>dan mckee</b><p>An insured package back to him would have got you your money back through the postal system possibly. I think they pay out on 2 or 3 claims out of 100. And since he obviously lied about the package, he would have had to file the insurance claims from his end. Tbob is correct, no matter how crooked the auction, if the seller complains that you have contacted his bidders,(which are usually the seller himself) then you have broken ebay rules and can be booted.

Archive
01-14-2005, 11:45 PM
Posted By: <b>Anonymous</b><p>Check out his other auctions<br /><br /><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=86847&item=5157040728&rd=1" target=_new>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=86847&item=5157040728&rd=1</a><br /><br />

Archive
01-17-2005, 09:12 AM
Posted By: <b>Scott</b><p><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6502668224" target=_new>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6502668224</a>

Archive
01-17-2005, 09:25 AM
Posted By: <b>Josh K.</b><p>I guess he decided he just couldnt live without it.

Archive
01-17-2005, 09:36 AM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>Scott, just for your information, and anyone else that thinks something nepharious is going on, I set up a quick transaction to ensure that we hit the sales threshhold to get the lower merchant rate from PayPal.<br /><br />We already had over 50 feedback, which is what you need to sign up for the Trading Assistant program, so we didn't need the feedback.<br /><br />Jay<br><br>Wow upside down is Mom. Mom upside down is what dad wants to see.

Archive
01-17-2005, 09:50 AM
Posted By: <b>Scott</b><p>accuse you of being something you can't spell.

Archive
01-17-2005, 10:33 AM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>I can't spell scurrilous reprobate either :p<br /><br />Jay<br><br>Wow upside down is Mom. Mom upside down is what dad wants to see.

Archive
01-17-2005, 11:22 AM
Posted By: <b>Scott</b><p>it would be cruel to go further with this.

Archive
01-24-2005, 01:22 PM
Posted By: <b>Dizzy Dean</b><p>A couple of days ago, one of this guy's "buyers" (who I had already suspected was the scammer's shill or the scammer himself) wrote back to me. I am sure that the Speaker card he "won" was as bogus as the one I got. He assured me that the card he bought from this cowboy was the real deal (a card store guy said so). He was SO THRILLED with it that he wanted to buy the Johnson card from me. Not sure what to make of all that. Weird.<br /><br />Thanks to all for all the advice. It's a thorny issue to say the least. I'd hate to get bounced from eBay but I just can't stand to see folks operate like that and get away with it 98% of the time.