PDA

View Full Version : Caramel boom

Archive
01-21-2005, 05:26 PM
Posted By: <b>Mike</b><p>I noticed many of you have mentioned the new "caramel boom" that is apparently taking place now. Does this include the 1920's American Caramels too? I always felt the Grover Alexander and Hornsby cards, etc. where undervalued.<br /><br />By the way, does anyone have any available?

Archive
01-21-2005, 05:39 PM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>the caramel boom has been taking place for about 3 years now. And hush about those 1920s caramels. No one is supposed to know about those....yet.<br /><br />Jay<br><br>Wow upside down is Mom. Mom upside down is what dad wants to see.

Archive
01-21-2005, 05:56 PM
Posted By: <b>wesley</b><p>For whatever reason, the black and white 1920s cards don't seem as popular. Bigger stars like Ruth, Cobb, Alexander, Hornsby, etc are expensive but lesser players are are relatively cheap compared to common E90-107 cards.

Archive
01-21-2005, 08:17 PM
Posted By: <b>Josh K.</b><p>I just won an E121 Grover Alexander - I can tell you it wasnt cheap. However, any card of Grover seems to command a premium these days - they just dont pop up all that often.

Archive
01-21-2005, 08:49 PM
Posted By: <b>Scott Elkins</b><p>I put a bid in that I thought was good enough, but wasn't. I was going to start picking Grover's cards up around 4 years ago before I got out of Hobby, thinking they were underpriced at the time - then, I decided to take a break from the Hobby (like an idiot!).<br /><br />I can tell a big leap in price during the last year with these E120's, E121's, etc. I remember picking up a common PSA 5 E120 Horizontal for under $40 over a year ago. Now commons (any common, not just a Horizontal)in PSA 5 seems to sell for over $70 and $80.

Archive
01-21-2005, 09:19 PM
Posted By: <b>Scott Forrest</b><p>The SCBC has the CJ Alexanders grossly under-priced as well, and has for the last two years. Do they sell really cheap everywhere but ebay?

Archive
01-21-2005, 09:24 PM
Posted By: <b>Scott Elkins</b><p>but on on eBay it seems. Other undervalued HOF'ers that sell for multiples of book prices seem to be Mack and Sisler as well. They are also tough to find.

Archive
01-21-2005, 10:15 PM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>Old Pete has always been a fave of mine and when I got back in the hobby, his was one of the first cards I tracked down. I picked up VG, crease free e120 for $60 3 years ago.<br /><br />Jay<br /><br />Wow upside down is Mom. Mom upside down is what dad wants to see.

Archive
01-22-2005, 01:30 AM
Posted By: <b>BcD</b><p> Did you say Horizontals!

Archive
01-22-2005, 10:09 AM
Posted By: <b>Scott Elkins</b><p>If it wasn't for you talking about your horizontal E-Cards and sending me scans all the time, I probably wouldn't be collecting them now. As you can tell from my post above, I even started collecting them from the 1920's caramel sets, when the earlier ones were not available. I have over 50 horizontal e-cards in my collection now thanks to BCD's influence (which usually is bad, but not in this case).

Archive
01-22-2005, 11:28 AM
Posted By: <b>Josh K.</b><p>Jay,<br /><br />I would guess you would pay three or four times that for the Alexander today.

Archive
01-22-2005, 10:48 PM
Posted By: <b>BCD</b><p>I gave you winners on pro football picks for years! That's not good influence!<br />Plus I have sold you caramel cards I wanted to keep and you sold them and made a profit! that's not helpful!

Archive
01-23-2005, 08:11 AM
Posted By: <b>Scott Forrest</b><p>Think t213 type 3. A lot and time of effort on my part, nothing to show but profit for you...you are welcome.

Archive
01-23-2005, 10:21 PM
Posted By: <b>BCD</b><p>notice I referred to doing that as a good influence-not a bad one.