PDA

View Full Version : 1951 Topps Unopened Questions

Archive
01-23-2005, 07:35 PM
Posted By: <b>Brian C.</b><p>Hi, I am setting up to buy 25 packs of 1951 Topps Red Back packs at $70 per. I am getting them from one of the top unopened pack dealers in the country. My question is this.. would it be wise to open and grade, or save unopened?

Archive
01-23-2005, 08:27 PM
Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>You might choose to open and grade the cards of one or two packs and see how it goes. If you get some mint grades it will no doubt raise the value of the other unopened packs or you may be excited to grade the rest of the cards. If the grades are shabby, you will be glad you still have 23 unopened packs.

Archive
01-23-2005, 10:08 PM
Posted By: <b>canjond</b><p>Not sure if your red back came from the same "find" as mine but... about 5 years ago, I bought a ton of unopened with an original box. I opened about 10 and saved the rest. HEach card came out MINT, but they were rejected from PSA because they still had the original tab on top. I'm not kidding! I took them to the AC national to have them graded and PSA would not. Something you may want to consider before opening them all...

Archive
01-23-2005, 10:09 PM
Posted By: <b>steve k</b><p>As was stated, you could try opening a few packs, but as a rule it is always better to leave vintage packs unopened as far as resale value. Note that those unopened 1951 Red Backs are fairly &quot;plentiful&quot; out there in the marketplace. Those cards were not that popular so a lot of packs were never opened.

Archive
01-23-2005, 10:10 PM
Posted By: <b>Trae R.</b><p>canjon, please explain the PSA logic behind the rejection. Sorry, I just don't understand. f you were to tear them apart would you fare better with them?