PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone explain this to me?

Archive
01-22-2005, 08:11 PM
Posted By: <b>tbob</b><p><a href="http://offer.liveauctions.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=6504098884" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://offer.liveauctions.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=6504098884</a><br /><br />I had the high bid which was placed 10 days before the live floor bid and yet ebay says I lost?????? I don't have a clue what's up with this.

Archive
01-22-2005, 08:29 PM
Posted By: <b>Rob Mckenzie</b><p>My understanding is that in 'ebay live auctions' it is up to the discretion of the auctioneer on the floor of the live auction to choose whether or not to accept bids from ebay. I may be wrong, but that is how I understood it from the times I bid on live estate sales.

Archive
01-22-2005, 08:30 PM
Posted By: <b>MW</b><p>tbob,<br /><br />It appears that in the event of a tie bid (even if one is placed earlier via the Internet), the auctioneer has final sales discretion -- i.e., it can be sold to either bidder. Here are the applicable parts of the terms and conditions from Philip Weiss auctions:<br /><br /><br /><i>"In rare cases an absentee bid that has been submitted through the Internet, may not be accepted by the Auctioneer conducting the sale (in some cases, an equivalent absentee bid may have been left directly with us at our offices). This may occur even when the Internet absentee bid was placed earlier than an equivalent absentee bid. In all cases the auctioneer has final discretion over which bids to accept."</i><br /><br /><br />Also:<br /><br /><br /><i>"In The Event of a Bidding Dispute, The Auctioneer's Decision is Final. In The Event of a Tie Bid, Preference Will Be Given To The Earliest Absentee Bid Received Or To Bidder's Present On Floor."</i>

Archive
01-22-2005, 09:08 PM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>From what I understand about these eBay live auctions is that the live, floor bids get preedent over internet bids. I'm just curious if youw ould have bid $50 and change if they would have honored your bid, or do you have to bid in round numbers for the these auctions? In either case. I make a habit never to bid in round or "common" increments such as 25, 50, 75. It's always best to use somethign doesn't end in 5 or zero so taht you avoid situations like this.<br /><br />Jay<br><br>Wow upside down is Mom. Mom upside down is what dad wants to see.

Archive
01-22-2005, 09:55 PM
Posted By: <b>tbob</b><p>The ebay live auction won't let you make a bid of say $50.11 or $56.00. You have to bid in increments like $50.00 or $60.00.<br />It still sucks. It looks like the internet bidder will always be S.O.L. unless he bids above the floor bidder, no matter when his bid is entered.

Archive
01-22-2005, 10:04 PM
Posted By: <b>Rob Mckenzie</b><p>TBob,<br /><br />My guess is that after the hammer falls the floor auctioneer tells the floor bidder "ebay bidder says $50 also, will you go $55.."<br /><br />You'll find another Rucker. GL<br /><br /><br /><br />

Archive
01-22-2005, 10:54 PM
Posted By: <b>BCD</b><p>seems they have little to do if it is a major auction house running a real auction with catalog and call in and live bidders. E-bay does NOT tell you the actual live bid amount. What's the purpose in putting the items on e-bay then? I know this to be true of Heritage Coin!

Archive
01-23-2005, 08:16 AM
Posted By: <b>Tim Mayer</b><p>the reason they put in on ebay is to increase the bid amounts, essentially they are using you to up the bid .