PDA

View Full Version : Mike Wheat Cards

Archive
01-16-2005, 05:21 PM
Posted By: <b>Anonymous</b><p>Hi, does anybody have any experience dealing with Mike Wheat cards? Although I know 1950's and up pretty well, I am just starting with Prewar vintage cards. Any reasons to have any concerns? I've bought some later cards from Gar Miller and been happy with them, just looking for a couple of dealers I could trust with raw cards. You guys have made me cautious about anything ungraded off ebay!<br />Thank you.

Archive
01-16-2005, 05:35 PM
Posted By: <b>PASJD</b><p>I used to buy a fair number of cards from Mike and was almost always satisfied with his grading. On the one occasion a card was rejected by a grading service he reasonably asked that I send it to a second grading service and when they too rejected it, he gave me a refund. Now that said, I have heard that Tom Witek, who is now out on his own, used to do most or all of Mike's grading and that things may be different now that he is gone, not in the sense of honesty/integrity, but only in the sense of consistency of grading. But I have no personal knowledge of that.

Archive
01-16-2005, 05:36 PM
Posted By: <b>dan mckee</b><p>Mike Wheat is a class act that I can vouch for. I have known and dealt with Mike for many many years! Dan

Archive
01-16-2005, 05:39 PM
Posted By: <b>BRIANKW</b><p><br /> Hi All,<br /> I agree with Dan, I buy from Mike all the time, and have never had a bad experience. Be well Brian

Archive
01-16-2005, 05:43 PM
Posted By: <b>Trae R.</b><p>I have purchased a few cards from Mike, and I personally believe he is top-notch. He communicates promptly, ships lightning fast, and you receive quality goods!<br /><br />(MW, this is the perfect opportunity to start a testimonials page on your website! haha...)

Archive
01-16-2005, 05:50 PM
Posted By: <b>tbob</b><p>I like Mike as a person and have had many dealings with him. The one caveat I would give is to make sure and ask if a particular card has back damage. I have had more than one card shipped to me with this problem; otherwise, they are reliable and provide good service.

Archive
01-16-2005, 06:49 PM
Posted By: <b>Julie</b><p>Sorry to spoil the joyeous party.

Archive
01-16-2005, 07:11 PM
Posted By: <b>Dan Koteles</b><p>coming here is a good idea. I have bought from Mike for over a decade and never had a problem, I may go through 1000 cards before I find the right deal and it depends <br />how bad you need a card.<br /><br />I hope that you are getting something really good.

Archive
01-16-2005, 07:30 PM
Posted By: <b>Rhett Yeakley</b><p>I have never had a problem with Mike Wheat personally, and generally I have heard good things about him from most people that have bought off of him in the past. If you are looking for some quality dealers to buy raw material from, many can be found right here on this website if you click on the vintage links/web pages at the top of the main page. All of the collectors/dealers that sell through there are trustworthy and have been okayed by the moderator of this forum. I have found this site to be a great way to both aquire and sell/trade to other collectors that know what they are doing.<br />Take care,<br />-Rhett

Archive
01-16-2005, 07:50 PM
Posted By: <b>john/z28jd</b><p>I bought 7 t206s last month from Mike Wheat and the grading was fairly consistent,2 were about a half grade too high,3 were right on and 2 were a grade too low,thats in my opinion.Cnat ask for a better average than that.He shipped the cards right out and in person or on the phone,he was very nice and professional.<br /><br />His prices are a little high across the board but you can find some good deals and you wont be disappointed with the service.Among dealers that dont frequent this board he is right near the top

Archive
01-16-2005, 09:20 PM
Posted By: <b>Scott Elkins</b><p>I have always liked dealing with Mike - I have only had to return a handful of cards and have purchased hundreds from him/them over the years.

Archive
01-16-2005, 09:42 PM
Posted By: <b>Jim Clarke</b><p>I used to buy odds and ends from him to complete my sets from the 50's. Never did I have any problems with them. Plus they even put a receipt and the credit card voucher in the box. Which more business/auction companies would do that. <br /><br />JC<br /><br />

Archive
01-17-2005, 05:40 AM
Posted By: <b>Scott</b><p>I've never had a problem, but if you are concerned about a card's back, be sure to ask questions.

Archive
01-17-2005, 11:03 AM
Posted By: <b>Darren J. Duet</b><p>An excellent seller, all my transactions have been worry free.

Archive
01-17-2005, 12:15 PM
Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>and typical dealer hit and miss grading. Always check the scan rather than the description of condition.

Archive
01-17-2005, 12:23 PM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>As mentioned in threads before I have only ever had one little (big) issue with him. He told me I didn't know what I was talking about when I told him, via email, that I had owned one of the T205 Cobbs on his website and 2 grading companies, PSA and SGC, had returned it as trimmed and altered. I have dealt with him a few times since and had no issues. I confronted him about the incident a few Nationals ago, as I believe in going right at most issues, and he scratched his head and said he didn't remember. My guess is he probably didn't. He is not unlike any other seller in that ALL buyers need to always use the "caveat emptor" principle. I feel confident he would stand behind his stuff if asked to, from everything I have heard......regards all

Archive
01-17-2005, 01:46 PM
Posted By: <b>Gary B.</b><p>It was a sale on ebay that looked to be a decent price for a G or VG card (can't remember) - I asked him for a scan of the back and he said he was sorry but he couldn't give one - he did however respond promptly and let me know about the damage on the back that was alluded to in the ebay description. I ended up not bidding on the card, but I was in no way deterred in my experience from dealing with him again, that is, should I find a card that I think is being offered at a fair price - his stuff can be a little high, but he sells SO much on ebay, you're likely to find something you want at a price you can deal with if you're persistent in sorting through his stuff...