PDA

View Full Version : Bill Veeck card for HOF collectors

Archive
01-08-2005, 05:18 PM
Posted By: <b>Paul</b><p>It's not really vintage, and for some of you it may not be news, but I thought some HOF collectors might be interested to know that there is a true baseball card of Bill Veeck from his time as an owner. I had thought the closest thing Veeck had to a card was his Indians team issue postcard, followed by his Indians team issue photos.<br /><br />But in 1976, during his second tour of duty as owner of the White Sox, he appeared in the "Chicago Greats" set. The back of the card specifically describes Veeck as the current owner of the Sox. Everyone else in the set was retired when the cards were issued. The set is catalogued in Lemke's book, but most HOF collectors don't spend much time looking over checklists from 1976, so they may have missed this one.<br /><br />The set was apparently issued in connection with a card show in Chicago in 1976. I don't know how common the set is. I have seen two examples of the Veeck very recently -- one in a complete set that I just purchased on ebay for about $20, and an autographed single of Veeck that sold on ebay for about $30.