PDA

View Full Version : value of 1919 ny giants auto'd ball

Archive
01-01-2005, 12:26 PM
Posted By: <b>pete</b><p>I have yet to see it...but I will soon...a friend's husband has aquired such a ball from his dad. Potentially this ball has Mathewson, McGraw, Thorpe, Frisch, Chase...and the rest of the team on an official ball in good shape. I'd guess this ball could be worth upwards of 20-30K...what do y'all think. I should get to see it next week and I'll take photos.<br /><br />Pete in MN

Archive
01-01-2005, 12:43 PM
Posted By: <b>Mike</b><p>It would have to be a 9 or 10 on the signatures for that kind of $$$. If it is missing some keys and is in lesser shape it's probably $5 - $9k.

Archive
01-01-2005, 12:49 PM
Posted By: <b>Sean Coe</b><p>Wow-sounds like a great item. If Mathewson signed it depending on the condition I would say it would probably be worth in the 10-15K range. Another signature to look for is Ross Youngs.

Archive
01-01-2005, 01:04 PM
Posted By: <b>hankron</b><p>Mathewson would add substantial value and make the ball extremely desirable, but Mathewson was retired (maybe he was visiting for the day). As noted Ross Youngs (died 1927) was on the team, and would be a key signature.

Archive
01-01-2005, 01:45 PM
Posted By: <b>pete</b><p>Was Mathewson coaching for the giants then? Why's Ross Young so unusual?<br /><br />Thanks for all the info!<br /><br />Pete

Archive
01-01-2005, 01:55 PM
Posted By: <b>pete</b><p>Aaahhh...now I see...a little research goes a long way.

Archive
01-01-2005, 01:58 PM
Posted By: <b>hankron</b><p>Ross is rare because he died so early. The rule of thumb for baseball autographs is the earlier they died the rarer their signature. If a player died before WWII, his signature will be tough. Even if he player died at age 85 without arthritus. Ross died a young man in 1927-- that's a recipe for a rare autograph.

Archive
01-01-2005, 04:29 PM
Posted By: <b>tbob</b><p>He not only was retired but was out of the game completely, I believe, in 1919. He had managed Cincinnati and put together the team that won the World Series in 1919 but was out of baseball and attended the series that year as a spectator. He sat and observed the Series and circled "fishy" plays by the Sox, thereby coming up with the theory that 6 of the Sox were in on the fix. He saw nothing wrong in the play of Bucky Weaver or Fred McMullin who rarely played (if at all) in the Series.

Archive
01-01-2005, 05:18 PM
Posted By: <b>Nick M.</b><p>Pete,<br />A few things to keep in mind when determing the value of the ball:<br /> 1: Authenticity-Send it to PSA/DNA or Mike Guiterez, they are the current most respected authenticators. Many team balls are "clubhouse" signatures.<br /><br />2: I think Jim Thorpe was on that team. My point is take a look at a roster and see who the stars were.<br /><br />3: Is it an official NL ball? I believe Heydler(sp) should be the NL president at that time.<br /><br />4. Is the ball in good shape? Shellacked? Scratched? Does it have mud on it(possible gamer)?<br /><br />Just some factors to keep in mind. <br /><br />Bob, is right about Mathewson.Bob is, as they say in Boston "Wicked Smaat"!<br /><br /><br />Regards,<br />Nick <br><br>Please register for a free auction catalog: <a href="http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Default.asp" target=_new>http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Default.asp</a>