PDA

View Full Version : N43 Allen & Ginter box

Archive
12-29-2004, 01:56 PM
Posted By: <b>Richard Dwyer</b><p>Question for Jon:<br /><br />Picked up a Factory 25, District of Virginia box today. Tax stamp doesn't show a date. Class A 20 cigarettes. It has a Dewitt/Clinton tax stamp though. Did N43 boxes have a date on them?

Archive
12-29-2004, 04:49 PM
Posted By: <b>Jon Canfield</b><p>Richard,<br /><br />Yes the tax stamps should have dates, but only in overprints. It would be overprinted in red or black. Often these could rub off. The easiest way to "somewhat" date the N43 box is to look at the front bottom portion. Right under the part that says "Allen and Ginter" in signature type font, look to see what it says... If it says Ligget and Meyers, the pack is 1915 or newer (but probably more like 1925ish). If it says American Tobacco Company, it is 1895 - 1914. If it says nothing, then you have the very old one that is correct for the N43's. I have only seen one of the correct "old" boxes before - I believe Mr. McKee is the owner if my memory is correct. Hope that helps!

Archive
12-29-2004, 05:22 PM
Posted By: <b>Richard Dwyer</b><p>It has Liggett & Myers on it. Good thing I only paid $15. It's in near mint condition , so it will do as a filler until I can find a real one. Thanks, Jon