PDA

View Full Version : When is Mint, Mint?

Archive
12-21-2004, 08:42 AM
Posted By: <b>Lee Behrens</b><p>Does anyone else think this warrants a 9 MINT grade? With the back off center so badly, there also appears to be a few printer defects, (lower corner of portrait, redd line and a line below his mouth), a couple of the M116s I sent in recently looked as good as this an only warranted a SGC 80. <br /><br /><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5148744045&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT" target=_new>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5148744045&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT</a><br /><br />I would like to think a MINT card would have to be a almost nailed front and back, but an 80/20 back, come on. I don't know why I worry it's out of my price range anyway.<br /><br />Lee

Archive
12-21-2004, 09:12 AM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>what, The Scam Zone hasn't shilled the bid up to the reserve yet?<br /><br />Jay<br><br>Wow upside down is Mom. Mom upside down is what dad wants to see.

Archive
12-21-2004, 09:21 AM
Posted By: <b>DD</b><p>Probably too late, but I reported him for keyword spamming.

Archive
12-21-2004, 09:39 AM
Posted By: <b>Lee Behrens</b><p>It's our buddy Broadway Rick, in case you didn't notice.

Archive
12-21-2004, 09:42 AM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>Hell, Broadway Rick's Scam Zone had a full blown expose done on them by MSNBC about their blatant shilling of auctions and eBay didn't even suspend their account for one day. eBay cited "lack of evidence" even though the shill had the same exact address as The Scam Zone. Proof positive that eBay will protect its powersellers at all cost.<br /><br />Jay<br><br>Wow upside down is Mom. Mom upside down is what dad wants to see.

Archive
12-21-2004, 11:02 AM
Posted By: <b>Judge Dred</b><p>Lee, <br /><br />I agree, the card had better be close to perfect before it's assigned a "9". I've had nicer looking post war cards sent back in 8 holders. Subjectivity, you've got to love it when a trained monkey has high regards for the card you submitted to a grading service. My apologies to all trained monkies in zoo's and circuses. Like the saying goes - buy the card, not the holder.<br /><br />Here are the published grading standards of a "9" for GAI, PSA and SGC. <br /><br /><br />Global MINT (9)<br /> <br />Appears to have all the attributes of a Global GEM-MT 9.5. Under close examination one minor flaw, such as a small print mark, slight registration problem or minor surface problem may be evident. Approximate centering of 60/40 on the front.<br /><br /><br />PSA MINT 9: Mint.<br /><br />A PSA Mint 9 is a superb condition card that exhibits only one of the following minor flaws: a very slight wax stain on reverse, a minor printing imperfection or slightly off-white borders. Centering must be approximately 60/40 to 65/35 or better on the front and 90/10 or better on the reverse. <br /><br />SGC 96 MINT 9: <br /><br />60/40 or betting centering, sharp focus and four sharp corners*. A minor flaw may exist upon close examination. A minor flaw may be, but is not limited to: a slight nick to one corner, a small gloss break or surface scratch, a minor print line or minor refractor line, a minor focus or color imperfection, or a small print spot. <br /><br /><br /><br /> <br />

Archive
12-21-2004, 06:38 PM
Posted By: <b>jack goodman</b><p>simply confirm that the bigger dealers get better grades?

Archive
12-21-2004, 07:57 PM
Posted By: <b>Bottom of the Ninth</b><p><a href="http://www.greyflannelauctions.com/showdetail.cfm?Lot=279&Premier=Y" target=_new>http://www.greyflannelauctions.com/showdetail.cfm?Lot=279&Premier=Y</a>

Archive
12-21-2004, 08:15 PM
Posted By: <b>Lee Behrens</b><p>So he was selling the same card at the same time? Who is Grey Flannel auctions?<br /><br />Under the grading companies definitions why do they even look at the back? Another reason not to buy socalled high end cards in holders. I still have never found a reason to buy high end graded cards. If any one has a good reason (other than the fact people pay stupid money for the grade and not the card) pleasse let me know.<br /><br />Lee

Archive
12-21-2004, 08:18 PM
Posted By: <b>DD</b><p>The Grey Flannel auction ended 11/21.

Archive
12-21-2004, 08:21 PM
Posted By: <b>Bottom of the Ninth</b><p>Same card. He must have won it.

Archive
12-21-2004, 08:41 PM
Posted By: <b>DD</b><p>His auction ended at $7,300, reserve not met. He (or his consignor) paid about $7,500 with buyer's premium and shipping, etc. Buying one card at a high profile auction like Grey Flannel to resell on eBay is a risky proposition.

Archive
12-22-2004, 05:49 AM
Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>I cannot define it but I know it when I see it.