PDA

View Full Version : 1903 Sporting Life W601 PCL

Archive
12-17-2004, 08:16 AM
Posted By: <b>Nathan</b><p><br />This was discussed here a bit ago - The search function is not working now so I couldn't go back and pull up that thread.<br /><br />The 1903 Sporting Life W601 PCL has been sold...<br /><br />Link at: <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5147982611" target=_new>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5147982611</a><br /><br /><br />

Archive
12-17-2004, 08:37 AM
Posted By: <b>scgaynor</b><p>That is an awesome price, but doesn't the line "NAMEL PAPER STOCK" seem to indicate that it is a TCMA reprint. I am not quite sure what "NAMEL PAPER STOCK" is, but I assume they mean hard or thick paper.<br /><br />Scott

Archive
12-17-2004, 09:12 AM
Posted By: <b>HW</b><p>on W601's is somewhat glossy. I would bet that his reference to NAMEL was meant to mean that it is not normal matte paper stock, rather it is glossy.

Archive
12-17-2004, 10:57 AM
Posted By: <b>scgaynor</b><p>The piece may be fine, however original premiums don't have a glossy surface, only the TCMA reprints from the early 1970's have the glossy surface. The term enamel (namel as he said) would be descriptive of the reprints, and not the originals. <br /><br />Maybe the piece is fine, it just struck me as odd.<br /><br />Scott

Archive
12-17-2004, 05:28 PM
Posted By: <b>Paul</b><p>I was shocked by the price. I believe it sold in the high $200s just a few weeks ago. I guess this is what you call good marketing. The prior seller did not mention the significance of Hoy.

Archive
12-19-2004, 07:16 PM
Posted By: <b>Rhys</b><p>It is the same one that sold on ebay I bought from Scott Gaynor. I sold it to the ebay seller and never even had it shipped to my house so I never saw it in person. I figured it was a nice piece and worth much more than I paid for it, but I had no idea people were so Dummy Hoy crazy. He has to be the most overrated player in all of 19th century baseball collectibles. He was not the first or last player to play with a handicap, and hand signals were not invented for him. <br /><br />Rhys

Archive
12-19-2004, 08:58 PM
Posted By: <b>scgaynor</b><p>Cool, then its good, just an odd way to describe it. <br /><br />Next time I will be sure to mention Hoy, I guess people are a little nuts about him...<br /><br />Scott

Archive
12-19-2004, 09:02 PM
Posted By: <b>Rhys</b><p>It would have been more cool if I was the one that had gotten $1400 for it. I made some money off it, but not as much as the guy who sold it on ebay that bought it from me. And yes, CRAZY is the word with people paying these prices for Hoy stuff.