PDA

View Full Version : T202 Fast Work at Third/Cobb/O'Leary

Archive
12-17-2004, 11:29 AM
Posted By: <b>Pete Z.</b><p>My neighborhood pawn shop has had this card for years in a plastic case where it's been attached on the middle/back of the card with two smaller-than-a-dime dabs of glue many years ago by a former employee I guess to keep someone from running off with the card. The card measures a 1/16th of an inch short in each direction and the top edge is miscut ever so slightly - it slants down and then up before and after the left fold. The edges appear untrimmed and the corners are nice, and the only crease is a slight wrinkle and is on the O'Leary side / not Cobb. The surface of the front of the card is clean with slight print defects in the center of the card. The surface of the back of the card is rough but clean. The problem is removing the card from being glued to the plastic without damaging the card. My question is whether $350 is an okay price for the card? Do cards with slight miscuts slab? I'd like the looks of the card but I don't want to make the purchase without first taking a breath. I think if it's removed without much damage, and the miscut isn't too severe to keep it from grading, that it would be grade a Good. Appreciate any thoughts.<br />Pete

Archive
12-17-2004, 11:50 AM
Posted By: <b>andy becker</b><p>but "my neighborhood pawn shop" ???? <br /> <br />

Archive
12-17-2004, 11:57 AM
Posted By: <b>Pete Z.</b><p>They keep the T202 card in the cabinet next to the M116s, or is that M16s?

Archive
12-17-2004, 12:24 PM
Posted By: <b>Pete Z.</b><p>Question - looking over my notes of the card's measurements, I noticed that the card measured between 5 3/16th" and 5 7/32nd" wide. My 2003 Standard Catalog of baseball cards says T202s are 5 1/2" wide. Is this a typo? Aren't these cards 5 1/4" wide? Or was that card a quarter of an inch short?<br />Thanks.

Archive
12-17-2004, 01:53 PM
Posted By: <b>Anonymous</b><p>Of course when you look at what this went for $350 for a fully intact T202 seems like a good deal.<br /><br /><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=86840&item=5143324600&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW" target=_new>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=86840&item=5143324600&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW</a>

Archive
12-18-2004, 09:46 AM
Posted By: <b>Lee Behrens</b><p>Hi, I hope this helps. The above auction is either schill bidding or bidders that have no idea what they are buying or a combination. As with all vintage cards there are variances in size, one good indication is if you are able to fold over the end panels and they meet it definately is not trimmed. The miscut is very common with T202 and whether it will grade is hit or miss but most of the time they grade. I looks like the cards were cut with the end panels folded over so that is another to tell if it is actually miscut. <br /><br />As far as the price, VG's T202 Cobbs tend to go $400-$600 on ebay, lower grade between $250-$350, the back damage to me is a detrant because I like reading the backs. I would say if the front presents nice, $300 would be reasonable.<br /><br />Lee<br />

Archive
12-18-2004, 10:21 AM
Posted By: <b>Julie</b><p>Guy should be put in jail...

Archive
12-18-2004, 01:37 PM
Posted By: <b>Pete Z.</b><p>I got it for $250. I told him that after doing some research that $250-$350 was reasonable, thinking that we'd settle on $300. I tried to upload an image but was unsuccessful. Now begins the slow and arduous task of removing it from the acrylic holder. Thanks!