PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed Researching Counterfeit T206 Honus Wagners

Archive
12-15-2004, 07:34 AM
Posted By: <b>Jeff</b><p>Hi All,<br /><br />First post on here. <br /><br />Me and others are having a discussion about this card as someone on the eBay discussion boards brought up if the value of a reprint of this card "Do any of you think that the Honus Wagner reprint(you know the one!)ever be considered a valuable and collectable item. Do you think it will ever a attain value on it's own merits and scarcity?" My response was "What merits and scarcity?? It's a COUNTERFEIT! End of story. And being a COUNTERFEIT it can and will be printed off by anyone and everyone that makes these so how could it EVER be scarce??" Probably could have done without the caps but being a regular on eBay can make you snap.LOL!!<br /><br />If anyone wants to read it <a href="http://forums.ebay.com/db2/thread.jsp?forum=83&thread=410396141&modified=1103115862878" target=_new>http://forums.ebay.com/db2/thread.jsp?forum=83&thread=410396141&modified=1103115862878</a><br /><br />Question is does anyone know if all the counterfeits are just doctored reprints? I assume that all the ones on eBay are just doctored reprints but I have seen where this card has been counterfeited at one time. If anyone has any links,articles,pictures etc on this topic it would be greatly appreciated.<br /><br />Thanks

Archive
12-15-2004, 07:37 AM
Posted By: <b>jamie</b><p>there was a large quanity of tobacco cards that were counterfeitted in the 70's. much better than the glut of ones being churned out on laser printers today. ive seen a few and they are very very good copies. <br /><br />as far as value, id pay a few bucks for a decent reprint but not even close to a sizable percent of the value of the original card

Archive
12-15-2004, 11:32 AM
Posted By: <b>hankron</b><p>As far as I've seen most of the fakes (meaning a reprint or couterfeit being passed off as an original) are aged/altered older reprints. There likely have been a number of homemade computer printer reprints.<br />

Archive
12-15-2004, 11:43 AM
Posted By: <b>hankron</b><p>I add that people who try to intentionally sell fake T206 Wagners are generally not bright and aware people. Selling a fake version of the most famous and expensive trading card in the world on a pubic forum is about as subtle and smooth as trying to sell the 'Hope Diamond' at a Green Bay flee market.