PDA

View Full Version : Good graders

Archive
12-08-2004, 12:11 PM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>Ok, we've done the Fritch, KY bashing for grading. Anyone that's been in the hoby for any length of time knows these guys use the chimps that PSA won't employ to grade their cards. Who are the dealers that do a good job of accurately grading a dscripbing cards?<br /><br />Off the top of my head, Mark Macrae leads the pack. My favorite was a when I request a list of Obaks and the Gene Krapp card had a grade of "crap", lol. I bought it along with a bunch of other low grade Obaks, and Mark wasn't kidding, it was crap.<br /><br />Jay<br><br>The difference between genius and insanity is acceptance.

Archive
12-08-2004, 12:23 PM
Posted By: <b>Rhys</b><p>I have always found the items I buy on ebay from Scott Gaynor to be fairly well described.<br /><br />When Sportscardsplus used to sell vintage stuff on ebay I would buy from them just becaue they undergraded everything.<br /><br />I once bought a Tip Top Pirates card from them described as Fair condition, and sent it to SGC and it came back a 4 and was the second highest ever graded for that entire issue at the time. It definitely makes you want to buy more stuff when you feel like some of these dealers are treating you the way they would want you to treat them.<br /><br />Rhys

Archive
12-08-2004, 12:26 PM
Posted By: <b>PASJD</b><p>At least during the days when Tom was there, I always found Mike Wheat's raw material fairly graded, and it usually received an equal or better grade when submitted for "slabbing."

Archive
12-08-2004, 12:57 PM
Posted By: <b>Scott Elkins</b><p>at least a few years back - everything came back graded at least what he stated or BETTER (now they seem to overgrade by a grade or so)! I use to buy several rare backs from Sportscards Plus - never found them to undergrade. However, every raw card I bought from them was overgraded only by one grade (when I was sending them to SGC). I was happy - plus, the prices were great and they would call me as soon as they got examples in to sell! These days, as long as cards come back an average of 1 grade below the dealer's stated grade, it seems very acceptable to me at least. BTW Leon - on the Evers, if Fristch called it VG/EX and you think it is VG - that is one full grade - not 1/2 a grade. Of course, a grading company might only call it a 2 or 2.5 - you never know!

Archive
12-08-2004, 01:25 PM
Posted By: <b>Robert A</b><p>In my opinion, Mark Macrae leads the pack in every aspect of being a "dealer." I agree that Scott Gaynor is also very accurate and honest and a pleasure to deal with.

Archive
12-08-2004, 01:33 PM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>Good point....I was just testing you. As for grading I actually think when you can speak with the Mastro folks on the phone they do a very, very good job of describing the good, the bad, and the ugly of a card. Macrae grades very well as does TIK and SCGaynor and David Bryan. Unfortunately we can talk about it all we want but the reality is that most dealers are no different than us, when we flip stuff, or commodity brokers (hey Jay)when they buy and sell, in that dealers will want to buy in low grade and sell in higher grade....the ole "buy low sell high" addage. Some dealers like Fritsch get a bad name for their grading.. and rightfully so....... regards