PDA

View Full Version : Appearance and Shows

Archive
12-06-2004, 01:35 PM
Posted By: <b>mike</b><p>I was interested in the Fort purchases and equally interested in the appearance comments, so I figured, why not start a new thread, so the Fort comments appear there and the appearance comments appear here.<br /><br />When I was a teen in the mid-80's, I went to many metro Chicago shows. Back then, Chicago was run by Chicagoland Sport Collectors and alternatives were scarce and actively discouraged. There had to be an antitrust violation in there somewhere, sometime. Anyways, the same dealers set up every show, so those became relatively known to active attenders like me and my friend. Appearance matters. Mike Gidwitz and his brother introduced a buddy and me to a number of other folks, including Bill Mastro, and those persons were much nicer after the intro than before (even though we purchased very little, if anything, and nothing from Mastro - too much $$$). So if you're going to look poor, then at least have something akin to a business card - introductions from someone relevant.<br /><br />Conversely, when I sold off my collection during a later time period, I wasn't looking for a customer list, just better prices and moving larger quantities than what other dealers offered me on only the good stuff. I couldn't believe the BS I had to put up with from people who were basically trying to steal me blind. Makes sense: dealer no know you, dealer no trust you. The worst problems came from teens looking to cheat me, and from 50-ish slobs with sob stories.<br /><br />I do not know if vintage has these problems since I don't go to shows anymore.

Archive
12-07-2004, 06:35 AM
Posted By: <b>Gilbert Maines</b><p>I really am not sure what you are asking. But if your inquiry is: does the vintage card segment of the hobby have persons who are anxious to rip you off, the answer is yes.<br /><br />I am not sure what the non-vintage marketplace is like, but my view of the vintage marketplace is a community of buyers and sellers working together for a common goal. This goal is to enhance each others enjoyment of the hobby. Frequently buyers are partime sellers and sellers are often also collectors.<br /><br />Some sellers require more of a markup for their time than others. Some sellers are fraudulent. The community polices vintage card activities and keeps each other aware of apparently dishonest activities thru vehicles including this board.<br /><br />If one adheres to the tips for beginners offered at the top of the page, the liklihood of becoming a victim of unscrupulous opportunists is minimized. Once vintage experience is gained, a network of honest dealers will be established from your personal activities, supplemented by observations and conclusions offered here and at your other resources.<br /><br />Or maybe I am off base here. If you meant something else, Im sorry, I missed it.

Archive
12-07-2004, 08:23 AM
Posted By: <b>J Levine</b><p>collecting again in 1989, I focused soley on '50s and '60s...being a teenager and a punk back then, I found myself often trying to convince the dealer that I would like to see the "53 Topps Robinson" in his case and not steal him blind the second he unlocked it...Did I learn to dress nicer at shows...no, what I did was talk to dealers about cards for five minutes and the good ones soon realized that my knowledge and interest were good and my money was still green. When I started collecting pre-war stuff a few years later, I often asked to see something and was turned down with things like, "you don't even know what that is" or "show me the money and I will open the case" or "if you can tell me the issue and date I will let you hold it". This was frustrating but again, I educated myself and soon was helping dealers identify cards...nowadays, at least where I live, I have the respect of dealers and some collectors and am rarely questioned about my knowledge of cards, my intentions on looking at a card, or my dress. Granted, I dont dress like a punk but I still wear jeans and a sweatshirt...the money I save on slacks and ties I spend on cards...<br /><br />-Joshua