PDA

View Full Version : Real?or Memorex? (Mcginnity t206 autograph)

Archive
11-22-2004, 09:39 PM
Posted By: <b>Tim Mayer</b><p>ok , is there any chance this can be real?<br /><br />Anyone know what his signature looks like? Looks like Sharpie to me haha, were they around in 1929?<br /><br />anyway as always, appreciate the help<br /><br /><br /><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=86841&item=5141431425&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW" target=_new>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=86841&item=5141431425&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW</a><br /><br /><br />Oh yeah T206 auto ...Mc Ginnitty&lt;br /&gt;

Archive
11-23-2004, 07:26 AM
Posted By: <b>Sean Coe</b><p>Looks like Sharpie and the c and G look different then what I have seen. Looks similar to the purported Beckley signed T206 that was discussed a while ago.

Archive
11-23-2004, 08:05 AM
Posted By: <b>Jeff S</b><p>ditto Sean ... I know nothing about this seller, but every single non-Rube Marquard autographed T206 HOFer I've seen on eBay has been a fake. Some are more obvious than others ... if this is an inexperienced seller, steer clear; if it's an experienced seller, he should know better that it could be worth thousands if authenticated and sent through a major auction house.

Archive
11-23-2004, 10:08 AM
Posted By: <b>Rhys</b><p>Autograph forgers dont understand the context they are working with. Around the turn of the century, and up until the 1920's, people did not sign premium items very much, if at all. There were not stacks of Joe McGinnity photos for sale at the stadium, and signing baseball cards was a much much later trend, the only exception being Exhibit cards from the 1920's because they were so big, and pretty cheap to get. Signed photographs being popular among collectors is a much more recent trend, and most signed photos from this vintage were given to family members or close friends, and were usually only "signed" the same way we would sign A Christmas card. SIgngle signed baseballs are a similar phenomenon. Signed balls from the 1910 era basically do not exist, and some of the ones I have seen with PSA/DNA authentication are some of the most blatant forgeries out there.<br /><br />Assume that most items from this era are not real, unless overwhelming evidence suggests otherwise and you will be safe.<br /><br />It is interesting to note though that I just read an article about Mike King Kelly from the 1880's in which it mentions that he is always being swarmed with children seeking his autograph. So there are rare signatures out there and people did collect these guys signatures, but most of the single signed bals, photos, and signed gum cards from pre 1918 or so are fake.<br /><br />Needless to say, this McGinnity is not even close. Look in the Halper caalogues if you want to see a real one.<br /><br />Rhys