PDA

View Full Version : the price for these Goudeys amazes me

Archive
11-15-2004, 05:17 PM
Posted By: <b>dennis</b><p>i just can't believe people have this kind of $$$ for common cards(only because of the grade)<br /><br /><a href="http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=86843&item=5137793258&rd=1" target=_new>http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=86843&item=5137793258&rd=1</a><br /><br />i'm gonna try to get this one for $4,400.00 less <br /><br /><a href="http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=86847&item=5139830184&rd=1" target=_new>http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=86847&item=5139830184&rd=1</a><br /><br />[edited to fix links & title]

Archive
11-15-2004, 05:51 PM
Posted By: <b>Gary B.</b><p>that's just unbelievable - I wonder what the book price on that card is at Near Mint? I would imagine it's a whole hell of a lot less than this...

Archive
11-15-2004, 07:49 PM
Posted By: <b>Marc S.</b><p>And, suffice it to say, money is no object to him. Although such a price may seem absolutely crazy to average Joe collector - I know that this individual, at least, has an annual collecting budget that exceeds most salaries. He's a very nice - easygoing guy - and he has the money and passion to aggressively pursue that which he collects.<br /><br />I'm not making the same collecting decisions he is - but I am not begrudging his ability to do so. <br /><br />In my mind - I would almost always rather see someone "overpay" for a tough vintage common card than looking at some of the coin that is being thrown around in the modern card market. Heck - even autographs. Have you seen that ARod and Bonds are doing a private signing in NYC where $1,050 buys you one autograph of each person?!<br /><br />~ms

Archive
11-15-2004, 11:10 PM
Posted By: <b>Morrie</b><p>Is that the scan, or is that some sort of nasty junk around the edges of the card's reverse? Is that normal for these Goudeys? Is that what a PSA 8 Goudey <i>should</i> look like?<br /><br />Morrie

Archive
11-16-2004, 06:59 AM
Posted By: <b>Gilbert Maines</b><p>There certainly is not always much difference in quality between a low graded card and one graded much higher. Although not much difference in quality, sometimes there is significant difference in price.<br /><br />While I can understand the philosophy that only the best quality card is good enough; I wonder if occasionally too much emphasis is placed on a card's grade. Certainly a PSA8 Goudey common is just that - a common card.<br /><br />This is what I do not get. If only the best will do, then why settle for a PSA8? The only answer which I have is that the PSA8 is a budgetary comprimize, much like the collector who buys a lower graded card - in order to allow sufficient budget to get more cards.<br /><br />Or maybe it is a comprimize based on the potential wisdom that grade rarity is not accurately defined by population reports, and may never be. So, to purchase a PSA10 Goudey common you may still be buying a common card. Or paying a substantial premium which may eventually prove to be unwarranted based on the actual grade rarity.

Archive
11-16-2004, 07:17 AM
Posted By: <b>JimB</b><p>Gilbert,<br />There are no PSA 9's or 10's for most Goudeys. Nm-mt is the best available in most cases. My Goudey set is about vg/ex-ex, but I can appreciate why people would want a pristine condition vintage set or cards. I have some from other tobacco and caramel sets. I don't know what it is that inspires me towards higher grade cards in some instances and not others.<br />JimB

Archive
11-16-2004, 10:15 AM
Posted By: <b>Gilbert Maines</b><p>JimB:<br /><br />On this consideration one has to go with his heart, since truth is not readily available.<br /><br />My heart says that although there are not many certified Goudey PSA9s + 10s, there still are many top grade uncertified sets of these cards which have been put away.<br /><br />Because of this, I would not pay a substantial premium for a low population high grade Goudey. And in my humble opinion a set of PSA8s do not constitute a top grade set; eventhough they may represent one of the highest graded sets.<br /><br />Of course I have no evidence to substantiate my opinion. Therefore, feel free to discount it. But I betcha.<br /><br />Gilbert

Archive
11-16-2004, 10:30 AM
Posted By: <b>PASJD</b><p>I personally believe very few of these cards from 70 years ago survived in strictly Mint condition. That said, I am also skeptical of many of the graded 8s, given all I have read and heard about restoration and based on what my gut tells me. For example, it's funny how there was NEVER a NM/MT 52 Wehmeier until PSA came along, and all of a sudden (after someone paid 20K or whatever for the first one) more and more magically appeared.