PDA

View Full Version : ebay help

Archive
11-08-2004, 02:21 PM
Posted By: <b>Tim Mayer</b><p>Hi,<br /><br />Looking for some help, it's off topic, but I am hopeful no one will mind...<br /><br />I need to sell a card on Ebay, and I am unsure the best way to list it,,,<br /><br />It's a 57 Mantle in Ex. condition, Graded by Global...<br /><br />is it best to have a minimum, and at one point do you start it at,,,what is a fair price for this card?<br />I don't want to give it away, and I figured, there must be some Ebay experts here....<br /><br />I unfortunately need to move this, and want to do it right,,thanks!

Archive
11-08-2004, 02:46 PM
Posted By: <b>JimB</b><p>You may want to have a reputable dealer post it for you for a small consignment fee. If you have not sold before and have little to no feedback on your ebay account a lot of potential bidders may shy away, especially on a card that is not that hard to find.<br />Jim

Archive
11-08-2004, 02:59 PM
Posted By: <b>Gary B.</b><p>Even though a 57 Mantle in EX condition might not be very rare, Mantle cards in the 50's do command a decent price, and the fee you'd pay for selling it by consignment could easily more than make up the difference by selling it yourself unless you've got a well-established selling record and can put together a nice presentation.

Archive
11-08-2004, 03:13 PM
Posted By: <b>dennis</b><p>is a much sought after card. even if you have 0 feedback it will sell, depending (on centering) in the $300 - $400 price range. i really don't think you need a reserve on an item like this, but if you need say $350.00 for it, just list at that starting price.check completed 57 mantles to see prices realized.

Archive
11-08-2004, 03:47 PM
Posted By: <b>steve k</b><p>List it as follows. Make sure all these words get in there. Even if starting the bidding at 99 cents, you'll still get what this card is worth. Start the auction at around 8:00pm EST on a Thursday and run it for ten days so that it will end around 8:00pm EST on a Sunday. I recommend a front and back scan and use the ebay supersize feature so people can clearly see it. As others have noted, you would most probably get higher bids by consigning it to a local baseball card dealer who has good feedback on ebay. He will charge you about 10 - 15% of the sales price. Check his ebay feedback before giving him the card - if he's legit, he'll be happy to turn on the computer right in his shop and show you his ebay account, or give you his ebay account name for you to check yourself.<br><br>1957 Topps #95 Mickey Mantle Graded GAI 5 EX

Archive
11-08-2004, 07:14 PM
Posted By: <b>shoo</b><p>Good advice from steve, a mantle graded by gai will command a good price selling by yourself I personally would go that route as opposed to a dealer a Mantle is one card that you could sell close to what a dealer would get.

Archive
11-08-2004, 08:44 PM
Posted By: <b>Tim Mayer</b><p>I knew I could count on you all, it's appreciated,,,<br /><br />I really need to do this right and will follow evryones advice,,,I appreciate the detail...<br /><br />our family ebay account has never sold cards,,,but my wife is cool, so I am sure her feedbacks good,,<br /><br />shes kodymonjean<br /><br />if someone knows how to look at our feedback and tell if we will get laughed out that would be cool,,again, thanks,,,<br /><br />I will list it thurs...

Archive
11-09-2004, 10:54 AM
Posted By: <b>andy becker</b><p>is 27 (which is not high) but it is perfect 100% positive. if you follow board's instructions you should do ok. you may want to try to somehow include psa and sgc in the title.<br />i'd go with:<br />1957 topps MICKEY MANTLE GIA 5 PSA SGC <br />i think you'd hit more searches with all the major graders listed.<br />also, from a cost standpoint you will do better with a high volume card (like mantle) listing it low ($1) and spending a little extra on "bold" or "highlighting". buyers will not allow a high volume card to go too far below current value.

Archive
11-09-2004, 07:02 PM
Posted By: <b>Mark</b><p>Anyone know ebay seller ranger191? He has over 3,000 positve feedbacks for a rating of vitually 100%. He sold me a 1932 U.S. Caramel Bill Dickey (<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5119537558" target=_new>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5119537558</a>) that was returned by GAI was "recolored." He hasn't returned my email though it's only been 24 hours. do people agree that I reserve a refund (i.e., when I buty an ungraded card, is it implied that it's both real and unaltered)? Thanks.

Archive
11-10-2004, 12:49 AM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>I'd be careful about listing it as GAI 5 PSA SGC. You could get your auction pulled for keyword spamming and the use of company names that your item does not represent. You'll notice that scumbags that sell PRO cards with only PSA in the title sell a PRO graded high end card along with a piece of crap PSA card, thus ducking the improper keyword rule. Now if ebay would put an end to the t206 Cobb PSA subjects that make it appear you are going to see a PSA Cobb when you actually see a PRO Cobb and a pos PSA card.<br /><br />Jay<br><br>I saw weird stuff in that place last night. Weird, strange, sick, twisted, eerie, godless, evil stuff. And I want in.

Archive
11-10-2004, 02:19 AM
Posted By: <b>honus3415</b><p><b>....you stated, "when I buy an ungraded card, is it implied that it's both real and unaltered."</b><br /><br />Firstly, I don't know, nor have I ever dealt with that seller.<br /><br />However, in light of the SGC-PSA-GAI graded e95 Cobb and the GAI graded Cracker Jack Walter Johnson which have recently drawn board headlines.....if a Professional Grading Company can't insure you that a card is real and unaltered, how can that be your expectation of ANY individual.<br /><br />Granted if the individual selling or trading an item KNOWS of the flaws, then that's a different story and you have EVERY RIGHT to expect proper compensation. <br /><br />Regretfully, with the technical advancements in card modification, I fear your feelings are warranted but in reality that is a guarantee that cannot exist with ANY card whether graded or not.<br /><br />

Archive
11-10-2004, 03:49 AM
Posted By: <b>dennis</b><p>looking at the scan it looks like someone colored in the scratch marks with red marker. if thats the problem it should be noted by seller but also it's pretty obvious in the scan for the (buyer)to notice and ask ???'s

Archive
11-10-2004, 09:04 AM
Posted By: <b>andy becker</b><p>...but like anything else ebay regulates...it's poor at best. you can add all the grading companies to your title, just add the equivelant psa and sgc grades that the card would qaulify for within your description. i do it all the time and i don't sell any pro cards. <br />it is only a way to maximize the hits you get off ebay's search engine...slightly misleading...but certainly not unethical.<br />my opinion

Archive
11-10-2004, 10:45 AM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>Good advice that a card may never "really" be guaranteed authentic even when graded by a reputable firm. I do disagree with the sentiment though that one can never guarantee a card is untampered with. ALL of my cards I sell I will guarantee will grade by SGC, PSA, or GAI ( don't trust GAI as much as I used to) and will gladly refund money if my card doesn't grade. Knock on wood I have never had that happen. Minus any mention of a card having alteration issues there is a general rule (some law I am sure) that a card is genuine and untampered with. One of you lawyers probably know the latin phrase for it. SO I do believe you are owed a refund and any reliable person/company should gladly make it right...and this seller most likely will too...good luck and let us know....regards

Archive
11-10-2004, 04:33 PM
Posted By: <b>jaguar50</b><p>Tim, I'm a new Ebayer too. However, I've studied their vintage sportscard auctions rather extensively during the past few weeks, and I haven't generally observed that veteran sellers fare better than newcomers with respect to the prices that their auctions bring. I realize, of course, that some of the newbies might have had professional assistance with their presentations, but their rookie Ebay status is readily observable by their limited feedback numbers. <br><br>But since you need to sell your card soon, I agree with some of the others here that it would be a good idea for you to seek selling assistance. And if you have problems with locating a local assistant, you might want to check with Ebay's trading assistant service. <br><br>Someone also mentioned the possibility of a starting bid price of $350, but I don't know... Many of the sportscard auctions which fail to get bids have starting bid prices that are in the range of what the seller should expect to receive as a final price. It seems to me that many Ebay buyers don't like to see that, and they sometimes refuse to bid on an item which leaves only a limited amount of room for bidding. However, a graded EX '57 Topps Mickey Mantle might have enough of a demand factor that a $350 starting price wouldn't discourage bidders; It's difficult to predict. But I would seek professional assistance as to what might be a good starting price for your card. <br><br>Best of luck.<br><br>jaguar50 <br>

Archive
11-10-2004, 09:35 PM
Posted By: <b>Tim Mayer</b><p>cool guys, again, thanks, lots of good help<br /><br />I like all the advice,,,I won't put on it PSA, SCG though..it's a good idea, but when I buy I hate when I look for SCG and get a pro, or anything else..<br /><br />It will have to sell on its own merits,,,I am considering selling another card first to test the waters,,,<br /><br />I knew I would get good help...