PDA

View Full Version : Help in cleaning slabbed cards

Archive
10-29-2004, 06:25 PM
Posted By: <b>Jeff Lichtman</b><p>I have a few PSA slabbed cards with the sticky residue from a price sticker on the slab. Can anyone provide advice on how to clean the thing without making it all cloudy? Thanks!

Archive
10-29-2004, 06:27 PM
Posted By: <b>Jeff</b><p>I've heard of people using soap and water, but your decision to trust the watertightness of a slab is up to you. Might try a tiny bit of lighter fluid on a cloth, but try it first on a slab you don't care much about before moving to the ones that you do.

Archive
10-29-2004, 06:51 PM
Posted By: <b>Sass</b><p>Goo Begone, if you do, you will eat in to the plastic of the holder. BAD NEWS ALL THE WAY AROUND using that stuff!!!

Archive
10-29-2004, 06:55 PM
Posted By: <b>Dave</b><p>This may sound strange, but it really works. Use a little cooking oil - olive oil, corn oil - whatever oil you have, it doesn't matter which. Put a frew drop on the sticky patch, rub it in with your finger. Leave it alone for about an hour - leave it flat. Rub it again, it will be very soft, but still sticky. Wipe off with tissue. Repeat if necessary. <br /><br />Now you have a new problem, but a lesser one, an oily slab. This will wipe off with rags (think polish), or a little windex on the rag will help.<br /><br />

Archive
10-29-2004, 07:12 PM
Posted By: <b>Julie Vognar</b><p>it's called "liberating the card"!

Archive
10-29-2004, 07:12 PM
Posted By: <b>dennis</b><p>i tried goo be gone too. i cracked the card out of the slab with a hammer.

Archive
10-29-2004, 07:15 PM
Posted By: <b>Sass</b><p>My ex wife had a way of making everything of mine disappear, including slabbed cards with little stickers. Maybe I could call her and ask her what she used.

Archive
10-29-2004, 07:34 PM
Posted By: <b>Bill Cornell</b><p>A product that's great for removing scratches and gunk from holders is Novus Plastic Polish.<br /><br /><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=16508&item=8142644968&rd=1" target=_new>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=16508&item=8142644968&rd=1</a>

Archive
10-29-2004, 08:03 PM
Posted By: <b>Tom Boblitt</b><p>just stay away from the matches.<br />

Archive
10-29-2004, 09:59 PM
Posted By: <b>nickinvegas</b><p>Jeff,<br />I have been in the cleaning business for over ten years (my work: ABM.com)<br />and I have tried many different products both comercial and retail brands. While there are a few commercial products that are slightly better, for my money nothing beats WD-40. Just spray it on and with a light towel(paper or cloth)make a circular scrubbing motion until the stain is gone.<br /><br />Regards,<br />Nick

Archive
10-30-2004, 01:20 AM
Posted By: <b>Elliot</b><p>I second the use of WD-40. To avoid overspray try spraying it into a cloth and then rubbing it on the slab.

Archive
10-30-2004, 06:43 AM
Posted By: <b>Jeff Lichtman</b><p>Thanks for all the suggestions. I was surprised that there is nothing on the PSA site that provided this info.

Archive
10-30-2004, 08:47 AM
Posted By: <b>Judge Dred</b><p>Ok, now we know how to get rid of the "goo", now how do we get rid of the scratches?

Archive
10-30-2004, 08:50 AM
Posted By: <b>Pcelli60</b><p>BLUE MAGIC plexi and plastic cleaner. Its all you need..forget about the rest.

Archive
10-31-2004, 08:08 AM
Posted By: <b>Anonymous</b><p>Lighter fluid (very tiny quantity) for gunk. Novus Plastic Polish for scratches. Works quite well on PSA holders, but less well for some reason on GAI and SGC holders.

Archive
10-31-2004, 08:23 AM
Posted By: <b>Jeff Lichtman</b><p>Since the WD-40 was at my fingertips in my apt, I used it on sticker residue on my slabs and the stuff disintegrated instantly. Perfect recommendation. I'll try the Novus plastic cleaner for scratches.

Archive
11-01-2004, 11:03 PM
Posted By: <b>lug-nut</b><p>My EX made my money dissappear! i wouldnt trust her with an old toothbrush if it was worth a penny!-<br />i heard olive oil worked and tried it only once...did a decent job, it works great on old coins too!<br />pete-