PDA

View Full Version : The "Curse of Nomar"....

Archive
10-15-2004, 01:24 PM
Posted By: <b>honus3415</b><p>Could it be that...just as the "Curse of the Bambino" was about to expire....the Red Sox inherited the "Curse of Nomar"?<br /><br />What a great series this could have been had Nomar been playing for the Beantowners.<br /><br />Let's hear it Boston, is there truely a black cloud over Fenway?

Archive
10-15-2004, 02:04 PM
Posted By: <b>Pcelli60</b><p>Its no secret that Nomar wanted out of Boston. He was tired of being the focus for Red Sox fans hope. He supposedly freaked out at a meeting with Red Sox ownership over the excessive attention he was getting from the local media. Soon after he became a Cub..And what Pedro said at that press conference the other day suggests to me that he to may become a member of the 'evil empire'<br />

Archive
10-15-2004, 02:07 PM
Posted By: <b>Bill Cornell</b><p>Yeah, except that Nomar is half the player he used to be. He can't field or throw and everyone in the league figured out that he swings at the first pitch every time. He was the single biggest reason they didn't beat the Yankees in the ALCS last year (which is saying something, since Grady Gump mismanaged every game). Cabrera is a better shortstop and hitter.<br /><br />There's no Sox curse, BTW - there's 86 years of poor management in the front office. <br /><br />Bill

Archive
10-15-2004, 02:10 PM
Posted By: <b>Pcelli60</b><p>Bill you are right. I dont believe in this curse nonsense. I say this because I am a New York Rangers fan..

Archive
10-15-2004, 02:36 PM
Posted By: <b>Brian Weisner</b><p><br /> The "Curse" may not be REAL , but it's more than poor management losing consistently in the playoffs to the Yankees. I think the "Curse" is that the Redsox expect to lose, and the Yankees expect to win.......... <br /> My wife made a similiar observation the other night when she asked if the Yankees were playing a team of "Amateurs". I didn't understand her comment until she explained that the Yankees look and act like professionals, while the Redsox looked unkept, untidy, and very unprofessional in there dress and hair styles, therefore she expected the Yankees to win. Now I know why women always win all of the office pools, and usually pick the winning teams. It's not because they like the color of the uniforms, but they are more observant than men. Be well Brian

Archive
10-15-2004, 02:36 PM
Posted By: <b>RickHastings</b><p>It could only be called "curse of Nomar" if the Cubs didn't collapse. It was not Nomar's fault the Cubs decided to play golf early.<br />I am from St. Louis, and all I hear from Cub fan's here is that the reason the Cub's aren't in the playoffs is because the Cardinals laid down to the Astros the last week of the season anyway. "curse of Nomar"? I don't think so.<br />Do not count the Sox out yet.<br /><br />

Archive
10-15-2004, 02:43 PM
Posted By: <b>john/z28jd</b><p>Ever wonder how many teams are cursed and why dont the White Sox get the same attention as the other members of the big 3<br /><br />The Cubs are obviously the T206 Wagner of cursed teams with the White Sox[Magie] and Red Sox[Plank] not far behind.<br /><br />Then those 2 other tough ones, the Giants who havent won since 1954[Demmitt] and Indians havent won since 1948[O'hara]<br /><br />Thats 5 teams that have gone at least 50 years without winning a world series and then the other teams[the Elberfeld,Lundgren,Smith chi/bos,Browne,Kleinow group if you will]... Padres[36 seasons],Brewers[36],Expos[36 and now moving to try to break curse]Astros[43rd now but still barely alive] and Rangers[44] havent won one yet,could the state of Texas be cursed.<br /><br />10 franchises have played since 1969 without winning a world series.Thats a long time

Archive
10-15-2004, 02:50 PM
Posted By: <b>Pcelli60</b><p>I always wondered that about Chicago myself. Those shoulders get pretty narrow when it comes to Baseball...

Archive
10-15-2004, 02:50 PM
Posted By: <b>honus3415</b><p>When great players in a franchise lived and died with the same uniform on their backs. The days not so long ago of Kaline, Clemente and yes even Mantle....and even more spring tranings back such as Williams, Gehringer and Wagner.<br /><br />The days of those great players that carried their fan's hopes on their shoulders (and didn't ask for more money). Few of the GREATS got to hoist the championship trophy as often as they deserved.<br /><br />Boston....I'm with you till the last out....but I still would take the heartaches of my Tigers over yours.<br /><br />It's amazing how a game can have such a affect on the mental state of so many for so many hours/days/years/lifetimes. We "kick home plate" when we lose and we "buy a round" when we win.<br /><br />Wish one of my teams would win....I've almost worn out this home plate.

Archive
10-15-2004, 02:54 PM
Posted By: <b>Bill Cornell</b><p><i>Ever wonder how many teams are cursed and why dont the White Sox get the same attention as the other members of the big 3?</i><br /><br />Because the White Sox don't have any fans?<br /><br />Curse, schmurse. The Red Sox lose to the Yankees because they don't have as much talent. Pick a year, any year, compare the two & it's pretty evident. This year's Sox team comes close, but it's still not good enough.<br /><br />And, yes, I'm bitter. <br /><br />Bill

Archive
10-15-2004, 02:57 PM
Posted By: <b>Julie Vognar</b><p>What the hell did Boston do so wrong? They sold a great player to the Yankees...hardly the last team to do so, even if he was the greatest player. I don't believe the White Sox are really cursed either, although i imagine the collective shame lasted quite a while.

Archive
10-15-2004, 03:11 PM
Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>Although as an ardent Yankees fan, I am thrilled with how things are going so far. <br /><br />I don't believe in jinxes or luck except as far as they affect the attitudes of the players. Then, I believe in them very much. You can psych yourself into performing badly (as all us men know...), which is what I think the Botox, er, Bosox do when they meet the Yankees, esp. in Yankee Stadium. <br /><br />I do want to take issue with one thing: "When great players in a franchise lived and died with the same uniform on their backs." That was not a golden era of baseball. Remember, from 1949-1964, the Yankees (14), Giants (3) and Dodgers (7) won 24 of the 30 pennants. The Yankees of the Torre era haven't achieved even half the success of that dynasty; if they win the pennant this year it is #7 since 1996. Crappy teams stayed crappy, teams that were close to the top never quite made it for lack of that impact player, and top teams held on for years without serious challenge because their superstars were locked into place. I think the pennant races of the free agency era have been among the most open ever precisely because a team can sign a top-flight player or two to vault to the next level. I'm not saying I want the NFL's parity, but the pennant races are really exciting when 90% of the teams are not automatic dead meat after April.

Archive
10-15-2004, 03:51 PM
Posted By: <b>honus3415</b><p>I'm not arguing that New York hasn't had championships since the beginning of time or that they don't deserve every trophy they have and then some (1960 comes to mind).<br /><br />What I miss is the great "player" that lived and died with his team, win or lose...the marriage between athelete and city. Days when greats dug deep within themselves despite being on a team that was an overwhelming underdog (not a New York team).<br /><br />Today.....I'd just as soon have a fantasy draft each year to determine who plays in what city.<br /><br />I long for the days of building a collection through trading cards...not one that was created by the biggest spenders. It may not have the luster but luster doesn't reflect the spirit.<br /><br />Good Luck Boston, Houston, St. Louis and yes..you too New York.<br /><br /><br />

Archive
10-15-2004, 04:34 PM
Posted By: <b>PASJD</b><p>As a Bostonian, I can state confidently that moving Nomar along was a good move for the Red Sox. His attitude was terrible after the Sox attempted to get A Rod, and (whether due to lingering injury which I suspect, he has never been quite the same since his surgery, or other reasons) both his hitting and fielding had markedly deteriorated from his peak. Could this turn out to be another Clemens (who proceeded to win 3 Cy Youngs after the Sox decided not to resign him because he was in the "twilight" of his career) disaster? Sure. But I think not.