PDA

View Full Version : UV ball holder

Archive
04-16-2009, 06:26 PM
Posted By: <b>brock</b><p>Hello,<br>I just bought one of those Single Baseball Glass Case and it says it protects against UV damage. So will i beable to display the ball in it even though there is some light at the spot i want to, or should it still be in a dark spot. Thanks

Archive
04-16-2009, 09:19 PM
Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>If you have a display that blocks out most of the full spectrum of UV light, you can probably display it where you wish, within reason. You still want to be prudent with light use, for example turning off the lights in the room when you are not there or putting a cloth over the display when you are not there for the day. Even with the preservation glass, there's no point in shining bright lights on the balls for 20 hours when no one's even in the room. <br><br>I've read about the different kinds of conservation glass and plexiglass-- expensive to cheap, each advertising it blocks UV. The least effective-- the one that ranked lowest on the protection totem pole-- blocked 93 percent of UV, which is a good amount of protection.<br><br>I'm conservative and a 'better safe than sorry' about these exposing to the elements issues, but conservation glass does indeed give a lot of protection.

Archive
04-17-2009, 08:53 AM
Posted By: <b>Mark</b><p>Agree... Better safe than sorry. Obviously keep it away from any direct sunlight that may enter the room from a window. And keep the lights off, unless someone is viewing it. If it is in a room where the lights must remain on most of the time, drape a cloth over it, as David suggested.

Archive
04-17-2009, 11:58 AM
Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>Another positive about a display case and ball cubes is some damaged is caused by long term exposure to dust and grease in the air. You case likely will help minimize this.<br><br>The three major causes of fading and exposure damage to art and memorabilia is 1) Light, especially UV light, 2) Extreme temperature &amp; humidity conditions (do't want too hot and humid). Don't display your antique photos in the sauna and 3) Longterm exposure (ala years) to bad stuff in the air. You don't want to display your movie posters next to the french fry vat.<br><br>My opinion is using a UV protecting display case for your baseballs is a sound idea.<br><br>I looked into it once, and collectors can buy ball cubes that block UV light. <br><br>Autographed baseballs are funny things, because the sigs can fade and leather tone due to reasons other than light exposure. Sigs fade when they stored in a box. Problems include that that some inks and the leather itself can be unstable. If you think about it, writing with a dime store pen on an animal hide doesn't sound like the recipe for eternal youth.

Archive
04-17-2009, 11:59 AM
Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>double post