PDA

View Full Version : EARLY BROOKLYN BASEBALL TEAM DIE-CUT GLOVE - NEWS ADV

Archive
03-13-2009, 07:30 AM
Posted By: <b>Randall</b><p>Did somebody get a steal or is this just a fantasy piece?<br><br><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&amp;it em=120386621600" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&amp;it em=120386621600</a>

Archive
03-13-2009, 08:07 AM
Posted By: <b>Dan Bretta</b><p>It's real and someone got a nice deal. It was probably part of a dinner program or scorecard.

Archive
03-13-2009, 11:37 AM
Posted By: <b>Rhys</b><p>It is a page from a c. 1912 St. Louis area (I think that is where they held the tournament that year) Newspaper League Commemorative book. The top newspapers of the Country would have their teams face off in a National Tournament each year and they made beautiful books for them (this is not the Brooklyn NL team but a Newspaper team from Brooklyn I believe). The earlier of the books you see is round like a baseball while the later is die cut and glove shaped. I have owned both in the past and as far as I know they only made 2 of them. These make for nice displays because each page is die cut and very well made and the pages have a texture and feel like the early Baseball Magazine posters. The pages at the beginning of the book have text on back of the photos but the ones on the back can fool you into thinking they were premium photos or something since they have advertising backs. Hoever the best pages are near the front where they picture some of the Stadiums and St. Louis team owners etc.<br><br>At their base, these are just pages from a book, but people pay a premium because they are attractive and make for nice display pieces. Having said that, $18 is fair for a display piece which is vintage.<br><br>Rhys

Archive
03-14-2009, 04:03 PM
Posted By: <b>Zach Rice</b><p>Rhys is right on. I own a nice example of the &quot;glove&quot; version of this book; i'll try to post images of it later tonight. It contains great images with invaluable information pertaining to the newsboy league and its history.