PDA

View Full Version : Book Question: Who's Who

Archive
02-20-2009, 05:54 AM
Posted By: <b>Jason L</b><p>Was wondering if I could tap the Board's infinite knowledge regarding older baseball books...<br><br>There looks to have been a series of books (annuals?) that were published with the title &quot;Who's Who in Baseball&quot;<br><br>When were these books published?<br>What is a representative sample of the contents? Is there a pic and a bio on every player? just the starters? <br>any other interesting content?<br><br>Any info appreciated!!!<br>Jason L

Archive
02-20-2009, 07:29 AM
Posted By: <b>Jodi Birkholm</b><p>Barry's post is more accurate than mine. I'll edit this out.<br><br><br><br><br><br>

Archive
02-20-2009, 08:14 AM
Posted By: <b>Rich Klein</b><p>Which began with a one-shot in 1912 and has been printed each year since 1916<br><br>Rich

Archive
02-20-2009, 08:21 AM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>There are so many books published with the title &quot;Who's Who&quot; that it can get confusing. The most popular is the 1933 Speed Johnson volume.<br><br>But there was also a yearly series published by John Carmichael titled &quot;Who's Who in Major League Baseball.&quot; That annual lasted from 1938 to 1955. They are found frequently and I am guessing that is the one you reference.<br><br>And there is a current &quot;Who's Who&quot; that is up to its 94th edition this year. It's the same idea as the others, offering career statistics for every active major league player.

Archive
02-20-2009, 08:38 AM
Posted By: <b>Jason L</b><p>I am not sure which one I am referring to, but if it helps, the clue I got was from an Ebay listing I saw today for a few pages from a Who's Who in Baseball. The listings picture has a page view of the Pirates team 1937 or 1938, I forget which...(one of the pics is Lee Handley, of course, the reason for my search interest).<br>If you get time and can take a peek at that, and let me knwowhich book series that is from, and the author...I would appreciate it. If each one has a picture and a bio, stats, or write-up on the players, I might pursue the books from the years he played...but I'm not sure of the years or contents of these books.<br><br>Thanks again, Barry, everyone.

Archive
02-20-2009, 08:47 AM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>Hi Jason- I just found it and that seller only has a few pages from the book. Now keep in mind Carmichael's 1938 edition would be a review of the 1937 season, so that is probably what he has. I don't know the series well enough to recognize those loose pages. Let me look in my Grobani and see if anything else pops up.

Archive
02-20-2009, 08:51 AM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>Okay- after Speed Johnson published his 1933 volume, he continued with three softcover volumes from 1935-37. Carmichael took over the book in 1938. So it could be one of those.<br><br>There about fifteen different Who's Who listed in the Grobani index. It is confusing and we can only guess where those loose pages originate.