PDA

View Full Version : Mom as hobby arbiter

Archive
02-07-2009, 12:34 PM
Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>My retired dad is not a collector of anything, but I gave him 1950s engraved silver trinket box that was given by the Philadelphia Warriors to early NBA player &amp; coach George Senesky. My dad likes the box a lot, in part because it's an neat historical memento and in part as its practical (he puts his keys, change, etc inside)-- which is specifically why I chose a piece of memorabilia that has practical use. When I gave it to him, he asked if he should clean it as it was well tarnished. As similar ponderous ponderers, we pondered the issue and never came up with a definitive answer. Both cleaning and not cleaning had valid and opposing merits. He never decided what to do and just left it in the tarnished state. Well, I stopped by my parents house the other day and discovered that when my mom was cleaning the house she found the dingy box and immediately cleaned it so it's bright and shiny. She answered the question for us.

Archive
02-07-2009, 12:43 PM
Posted By: <b>scgaynor</b><p>No matter what the argument, Mom is always right. <br><br>Scott<br>

Archive
02-07-2009, 12:57 PM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>Many things, when left alone, take care of themselves.

Archive
02-07-2009, 03:20 PM
Posted By: <b>Greg Theberge</b><p>Nothing wrong with cleaning anything in my opinion. Having it replated, however, would be another story.<br><br>Nice thing to give your dad.<br><br>Greg

Archive
02-08-2009, 10:50 AM
Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>Both my dad agree it looks nice de-tarnished.