PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know who the first baseman was for 1902 Scranton?

Archive
01-05-2009, 01:27 PM
Posted By: <b>Rhys</b><p>I am hoping someone on here has access to old newspapers or something that can give me a roster of the 1902 Scranton Miners team, especially their right handed first baseman. I have a cabinet card of him and it is dated 1902 but not the players name. I believe they were independant in 1902 and I cant find any records of their roster through SABR. I will try and get a scan up as well of the cabinet.<br><br>Thanks in advance if anyone can help.<br><br>Rhys Yeakley

Archive
01-05-2009, 04:18 PM
Posted By: <b>Douglas</b><p>There wasn't one, or not that I can find. The Scranton Miners played in several leagues through the years, however the closest years they played were 1899-1900 in the Atlantic League, then not until 1904 in the New York State League.

Archive
01-05-2009, 04:23 PM
Posted By: <b>Dan Bretta</b><p>Doug, many times when you see a gap between official seasons it's because the league folded. Often times the team survived and played against town teams or other semi-pro teams.

Archive
01-05-2009, 04:43 PM
Posted By: <b>Rhys</b><p>Dan is correct. I know the year is 1902 because the one player autographed his cabinet and signed it 1902 in his hand and he is wearing a beautiful Scranton Jersey and it is a Scranton PA photographer. The team probably went independant after the league folded and scheduled other minor league teams on days off. The player that is identified was a high level minor leaguer named Roger Gorton.<br><br>Often times you look at someones minor league record too and it will look like they took a 2-3 year leave from the game but it almost always was a case of them getting more money for a company team (like the mill and coal mining teams of the 1910's and 1920's). <br><br>I appreciate the effort in looking though.<br><br>Rhys

Archive
01-05-2009, 04:57 PM
Posted By: <b>Douglas</b><p>Hmm, interesting. Well, I will keep my eyes and ears open for more info then. Thanks.