PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Checks

Archive
12-27-2008, 02:49 PM
Posted By: <b>James Gallo</b><p>So I have been thinking about picking up some vintage checks and was wondering what the availability of pre war signed checks are and the price range they would be in. <br><br>What I was thinking of doing was trying to get a signed check for each player in the Cracker Jack set. Obviously it would not be possible to get it 100% complete with Jackson and probably some other guys, but I wanted to know if checks of common guys are available and what would be the best place to go looking for them. <br><br>I assume the vintage larger checks would cost more and you would want the cleanest signature that is not canceled as possible, but I really don't know more then that about checks.<br><br>Any thoughts and help would be great. I am not ready to start this right away but I do have some cards I could trade for some check so LMK if you have any as well.<br><br>On a side note I have only ever seen 1 signed cracker jack card so if anyone has any for sale or would even like to share a picture that would be great.<br><br>Thanks<br><br>James G<br><br>Looking for 1915 Cracker Jacks and 1909-11 American Caramel E90-1.

Archive
12-27-2008, 03:02 PM
Posted By: <b>Jodi Birkholm</b><p>You are not going to be able to find every signature of the players in the CJ sets, let alone all solely on personal checks. You will find a few, but not too many. Many of the players' signatures from that era are impossible to procure. Several of the players passed away while still young men, and lived in near (or total) obscurity following their playing days. Baseball autograph collecting (both in-person and through-the mail) did not truly become <i>en vogue</i> until the early 1930's. Also, be prepared to spend in the high five figures- low six figures to complete such a quest, despite the fact that some of these autographs may never be located. <br><br>I have many of the signatures you would need. Most aren't on checks, but you almost have to &quot;take what you can get&quot; when it comes to such rarities.