PDA

View Full Version : Opinions On This Pennant: Mastro-

Archive
12-10-2008, 12:02 PM
Posted By: <b>Brock G.</b><p>What do you guys think about this Brooklyn pennant? <a href="http://mastroauctions.com/index.cfm?action=DisplayContent&amp;ContentName=Lot%20 Information&amp;LotIndex=90079&amp;LastLotListing=Lot%20Li st%20Categories&amp;CurrentRow=1" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://mastroauctions.com/index.cfm?action=DisplayContent&amp;ContentName=Lot%20 Information&amp;LotIndex=90079&amp;LastLotListing=Lot%20Li st%20Categories&amp;CurrentRow=1</a><br> <br>It was listed on ebay a few months ago and pulled early. The pictures were much better than the ones Mastro has provided. I remember looking at it and thiking it was not vintage. It is very cool with the 3-D bat and hobo sack but looks modern. Opinions?

Archive
12-10-2008, 02:20 PM
Posted By: <b>Mark</b><p>Brock...<br><br>Rest assured... it IS vintage (and is highly coveted). I have seen exactly 3 of these in many many years of collecting pennants. It is ultra-rare and definitely of the time period. <br><br>As far as pricing... <br><br>* About 12 years ago, a NRMT one went for about $1,700<br>* About 8 years ago, an EX/MT example sold for $1,200<br>* About 5 years ago, a VG example sold for around $650<br><br>I have not seen another since then. In today's bad ecomomy... who knows the value? It may be a great time to go after this one. If you can get the Mastro one for under $1,000, it's a great buy, IMO. It all depends on how much 2 people want it... I know there must be a lot of Brooklyn collectors who have been waiting an eterinty for one of these to surface.<br><br>I do not own this particular pennant, and have been an under-bidder on all 3 examples mentioned above. I did not aggressively go after the VG example, because it had soiling and an extended tear at the point the wooden bat is inserted (which bothered me). <br><br>I have never seen one of these in person, but have been told they are quite spectacular. There is in fact, another similar style that was made for the Yankees... apparently even rarer! I have only seen one (many years ago) and cannot recall the graphics in detail. But it was done by the same &quot;artist&quot; and had the same 3-D effect.<br><br>Hope this info is helpful,<br>Mark<br>

Archive
12-10-2008, 03:05 PM
Posted By: <b>Brock G.</b><p>Thanks for the information Mark. Well since it is in fact period, it is just about the coolest thing I've seen in quite a while. I would love to go after it but I'm sure it will exceed my budget. Its amazing it has remained in such fine condition. That is really what led me to believe it was modern. With such bright, strong colors it looks like it could of been made yesterday. Thanks again Mark.

Archive
12-10-2008, 03:45 PM
Posted By: <b>Mark</b><p>Well, you never know about pricing for these things. It could go for lots less than those previous examples I quoted. <br><br>I know that prices realized have been dropping as of late, and Mastro is no exception. It's rather &quot;hit and miss&quot;, depending on whether someone with unlimited money is in on the after-hours bidding. <br><br>Even though this pennant is unquestionably vintage, I wonder what the circumstances were behind its manufacture. It does not look like one sold at the stadiums. I would almost bet it's a department store or sporting goods store pennant. Would love to &quot;time travel&quot; back to the '50s to find out more.

Archive
12-18-2008, 11:05 AM
Posted By: <b>Anonymous</b><p>Well... once again, the NRMT 3-D Bums Pennant went for $1,700 in Masro last night ($2,040 with the BP). So whoever won got it for the same price as a dozen years ago Not bad, considering the poor economy, I suppose...<br><br>Any Mastro winners last night?

Archive
12-18-2008, 11:25 AM
Posted By: <b>Brock G.</b><p>$2,000 seems like a pretty fair price. I'm sure this is a &quot;Holy Grail&quot; item for pennant and Brooklyn Dodger collectors alike, so 2 grand seems reasonable. <br>I watched a few lots but did no bidding. You come out with anything Mark?

Archive
12-18-2008, 02:07 PM
Posted By: <b>Mark</b><p>Nope... a big Mastro goose-egg for me last night. I really liked the Trophy Bat with attached Ball, but just didn't have the funds to compete strong enough for it. Someone got a nice deal at $1,600.<br><br>I also made a rather half-hearted attempt at the Lefty Grove Lucky Strike Ad Sign. I almsot got it, and someone really stole it for $1,200. I think that's the least I have ever seen one of these go for (in nice condition anyway...)<br><br>I would have tried for the Cap Anson Cigar Box, but committed to a friend NOT to go after it... he wanted it more, and really specializes in these things. He actually has a Wagner, a Cy Young, a coveted St. Louis Browns, etc. The Anson sold for $800, which was another pretty low price. <br><br>Despite those 3 pieces, I thought the prices realized were rather high (especially in the midst of a bad economy). I'm sure there were more bargains... I just couldn't find any on the things I like!

Archive
12-18-2008, 05:51 PM
Posted By: <b>Rob D.</b><p>My pennant expertise outside of Cleveland versions is fairly limited, but I was watching this one and thought it went for a reasonable price:<br><br><a href="http://tinyurl.com/3w229f" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://tinyurl.com/3w229f</a><br><br>

Archive
12-18-2008, 09:10 PM
Posted By: <b>Mark</b><p>You are right, Rob... normally that's a $2000 pennant (at very least). Someone got a very nice deal on that one too. It's kind of silly that the Brooklyn one sold for $500 more than this oversized &quot;Turn of the Century&quot; beauty!