PDA

View Full Version : Kenesaw Mountain Landis signature

Archive
12-02-2008, 05:33 AM
Posted By: <b>Mike Peich</b><p>Dear All,<br>I was offered a K.M. Landis letter (signed twice) on commissioner's letterhead. The letter is in very good condition, the signatures bold, and the asking price is $600.00. Is this an inflated price for a letter that has virtually no baseball content? It struck me as being over-priced, and I defer to the expert opinions of those in this forum. Thanks in advance for any feedback you can provide.<br>Cheers, Mike

Archive
12-02-2008, 06:23 AM
Posted By: <b>Jodi Birkholm</b><p>To me, that's a fair retail price; just don't expect to turn it around for a profit. <br><br>Also, has this letter been authenticated? You have to be wary of secretarial Landis signatures on items such as this. He did sign the bulk of his own correspondence, but there are many secretarials out there, too.

Archive
12-02-2008, 07:11 AM
Posted By: <b>Dan Bretta</b><p>$600 is too much.<br><br>There's a guy in the CU forums who has a KML signed letter on Commissioner's letterhead with a 1939 Baseball Centennial design that will trade you for a graded card in the $200-$300 area.<br><br><a href="http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=11&amp;threadid=608228&amp;STARTPAGE =42" target="_new">http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=11&amp;threadid=608228&amp;STARTPAGE =42</a>

Archive
12-02-2008, 07:37 AM
Posted By: <b>scgaynor</b><p>Landis is usually in the $300 area.<br><br>Scott<br>

Archive
12-02-2008, 07:49 AM
Posted By: <b>Jodi Birkholm</b><p>Yes, and the letter is signed twice! If the content of the letter is as plain as is described, perhaps the piece can be cut into two separate signed pieces. If this doesn't sound like a good idea, simply purchase a single-signed cut or TLS for about half the price.

Archive
12-02-2008, 07:00 PM
Posted By: <b>Mike Peich</b><p>As I expected, all of you had helpful responses to my question. I'm not an active signature collector, but I thought the offered piece was interesting, and that is why I wanted to know the realistic price for a Landis signature. Thank you all for taking the time to respond, and I hope I can repay the favor with some advice on vintage cards.<br>Cheers,<br>Mike