PDA

View Full Version : Johnny U. memorabilia question

Archive
10-29-2008, 07:56 AM
Posted By: <b>rob</b><p>A friend of mine told me of a piece of memorabilia his father has and I am trying to get him some info on the value of it. His dad played/tried out for the Steelers one year and was given a playbook that Johnny Unitas wrote his name on.<br /><br />Unitas wrote his name in block lettering on the cover of the playbook, it was the fall of 1956 and<br />the playbook is still completely intact ... a little faded, but has all the old-school formations, plays etc.<br /><br />It is probably tough to authenticate a name if it is not signed, but wondering if anyone had a feel for what something like this might be worth.<br /><br />thanks - Rob

Archive
10-29-2008, 12:12 PM
Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>If it's authentic, I would guess at least a few hundred dollars. There's not much around from Unitas' Steelers days, and a standard modern Unitas signed photo is worth around $75-$100 these days. A 1956 Sig on a 1956 Steelers playbook has got to a worth a lot more than that. The obvious question is was the playbook Unitas' playbook-- his name printed on the front would strongly suggest so. It's doubtful a then nobody scrub like Unitas would go around printing his name on others' playbooks, nor would the other players be asking him for his autograph.

Archive
10-29-2008, 12:42 PM
Posted By: <b>rob</b><p>Thanks David, yeah I know the Steelers factor is probably a nice bonus.<br /><br />The name is not really a signature though I guess, its more like a printed block lettered name. Do you think that could be authenticated?<br />

Archive
10-29-2008, 12:51 PM
Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>double post

Archive
10-29-2008, 12:52 PM
Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>Rob, that was my theory. It was Unitas' playbook and, when he was cut, it was passed along to another player. If this was Unitas' Steelers playbook, and from the description it sounds as if it probably was, it's quite a piece of memorabilia. A letter of provenance from the former pre-season Steelers player who currently owns it would be great too, and might be as important as an autograph LOA.

Archive
10-29-2008, 12:54 PM
Posted By: <b>rob</b><p>Thanks David. Yeah I deleted my post saying it was from the previous year as opposed to that year and then he was cut. <br /><br />Can authenticators place the time when the name was written to verify the rough age of the writing? As opposed to someone just writing it now.

Archive
10-30-2008, 12:01 PM
Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>I've seen PSA and JSA LOAs for printed names, so it can be done. Jodi would be more the expert on this issue.

Archive
10-30-2008, 12:07 PM
Posted By: <b>Alan</b><p>Rob -<br /><br />Try asking the question to a Maryland dealer/auction house like Huggins & Scott. They may know since Unitas stuff is popular in Maryland.<br /><br />Alan