PDA

View Full Version : Ralph "The Old Grouch" LinWeber

Archive
10-06-2008, 08:06 AM
Posted By: <b>Parpar</b><p>This is a bit off the topic, but I want to ask you mavens anyway.<br /><br />I've been trying to locate Ralph LinWeber's birth and death dates (XX/XX/1908—XX/XX/1997? is what I currently have). I recall that LinWeber's obituary appeared in the SABR newsletter, but I've misplaced my copy. (And yes, that's how he spelled his name—"LinWeber" instead of "Linweber.") <br /><br />LinWeber was an authority on Toledo baseball history, especially the Toledo Mudhens. An alumnus of Ohio School for the Deaf, he chronicled the careers of every early deaf player he could find (not just those from OSD). Most played in the minor and industrial leagues, but a few broke into the majors, although only William E. "Dummy" Hoy and Luther H. "Dummy" Taylor had staying power.<br /><br />There will be (I hope!) a chapter on these obscure but interesting players in the Hoy biography. There's one in draft form, but the manuscript is overlong, alas, and needs more trimming. I also have a paucity of photos. I've seen one or two posted online, but haven't been able to connect with the owners of the originals.<br /><br />Getting back to LinWeber, who was nicknamed "The Old Grouch" for his curmudgeonly demeanor, he had what was said to be the most comprehensive baseball library excluding (or including) Cooperstown. He boasted that he had a complete or near-complete collection of Reach Guides. Does anyone know of the disposition of his collection? I suspect that it was auctioned or sold off in lots, as an estate sale, as I know someone who purchased a few letters written by "Dummy" Hoy to LinWeber, so they must have been part of his collection. The most likely scenario is that his collection was broken up, auctioned off in lots, and further dispersed, the components re-entering the market or bought up by collectors.<br /><br /> Incidentally, his "Baseball Research Bureau" was evidently open to the public . . . although that's scant comfort to know now.<br />