PDA

View Full Version : Advisory Staff Photos

Archive
08-05-2008, 08:48 PM
Posted By: <b>Paul</b><p>I haven't had any luck with my question on the card side of the forum, so I thought I'd try here. Do any of you know much about the 1960s Advisory Staff Premiums? I recently picked up a Drysdale. It looks fine except it says "Kodak paper" on the back. I've never seen that before. Do any originals have this on the back?<br /><br />Also, do any of you know the details of how these were issued? Were some photos used over the course of many years? Even after the player retired? And how exactly were they distributed? Thanks.<br /><br />Paul

Archive
08-05-2008, 09:15 PM
Posted By: <b>Todd Schultz</b><p>... 2 Spalding, a Wilson and a MacGregor. No Kodak markings. I have a Bob Allison somewhere too that I'll check, but I don't recall seeing any Kodak paper on these.

Archive
08-05-2008, 10:24 PM
Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>Kodak photo paper that says "A Kodak Paper" on back was made from the 1960s to early 70s. Kodak changed the text numerous times over the years, so the text is reliable for judging age.

Archive
08-06-2008, 10:31 AM
Posted By: <b>Paul</b><p>I heard back from the seller who is a knowledgeable, longtime dealer. He said that Spalding Advisory Staffs from 1967-69 (and only Spaldings) had the Kodak markings on the back. He also said that he has the original envelope that they came in and it is postmarked 1968. He's certainly not the kind of guy to make up the envelope story, so I think I'm ok. But if anyone else has any more general information about how and when the Advisory Staffs were distributed, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.<br /><br />Paul

Archive
08-10-2008, 12:42 PM
Posted By: <b>Jason</b><p>I recently purchased a Spalding Advisory Staff Photo and had the same question. The player is Jim Hegan as a Cleveland Indian, and I assumed (maybe incorrectly) that the photo was from the 1950s as he played for Cleveland through 1957. The front of the photo is glossy black and white, and the back is blank except it says "A Kodak Paper" in diagonal rows across the back. Was kodak paper used on Spalding Advisory Staff Photos from the 1950s? Or perhaps it was used in the 1960s only, and my photo dates to that period? <br /><br />

Archive
08-10-2008, 09:15 PM
Posted By: <b>Paul</b><p>It sounds like your Hegan looks a lot like my Drysdale. One of my questions about these things is whether the same photo was used year after year. I'm quite sure the photo on my Drysdale dates to the late 50s or early 60s. Hopefully, someone will chime in with some answers.