PDA

View Full Version : National Sports Equipment show thoughts....

Archive
05-26-2008, 10:30 PM
Posted By: <b>Alan</b><p>In the mid & late 1990's, there used to be what would be known as the "National Sports Equipment Show". It was held annually in various locations in the Baltimore/Washington areas. I think radio sports host & Senators collector Phil Wood was the coordinator or something. The show was small (maybe 20 dealers ?), but there was some great vintage memorabilia/equipment there. Could a show like this ever start up again ? Thoughts ? <br /><br />Thanks.<br />Alan<br /> <br />

Archive
05-27-2008, 07:23 AM
Posted By: <b>Jimmy</b><p>Alan,<br /><br />I always thought about doing something like this in Plymouth, MA, but it would have everything from cards and autographs. I would key in on Sports Equipment and Antiques. Maybe down the road from now, but I thought I could do something like that in future. <br /><br />Jimmy<br />

Archive
05-27-2008, 10:25 AM
Posted By: <b>scgaynor</b><p>Best show ever!<br /><br />At one point I lived so close that I could have walked to it. <br /><br />I don't know that it could be pulled off again at this point and have the same atmosphere and quality of material. <br /><br />Scott

Archive
05-27-2008, 01:53 PM
Posted By: <b>Mark</b><p>I sure wish that such a show still existed. I would travel almost anywhere to attend one like this. Even at the National, there are very few Booths that feature a nice (quality) assortment of vintage Equipment and Memorabilia.<br /><br />The only really good ones I remember well from recent years are Hunts, Brian Dec, and John Kanuit's Booth. Of course, the Big Guys (Mastro, Lelands, Heritage, Sotheby's) are always there, but they seem more focused on taking in consignments and/or promoting their current auction.

Archive
05-27-2008, 02:03 PM
Posted By: <b>Mark</b><p>One of the difficulties is that dealers would have to transport and safeguard a lot of cumbersome and expensive equipment. But I would make every effort to show up.